cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recover Job Definitions and Catalog From Previous Version

saberman
Level 4

I had a Windows XP Pro box that is used to backup data on a small LAN.  The machine died and was replaced with a new one with a new install of Windows XP SP3 plus all patches.

The old machine had BE 8.5 on it.  I have a license for BE 9.0 and tried the following:
1. Copied the C:\Program Files\Vertias directory and all sub directories from the old boot drive to the new one.
2. Installed BE 9.0 on the new machine.

I had hoped that BE 9.0 would read the catalog and job definitions from the BE 8.5 data.

I tried to run a restore using the new system.  I was able to find the file I was interested in restoring and selected and started the restore job.  I got the invalid media id error message.  I then tried to catalog the tape.  The catalog job also failed with the invalide media id message.

I have not uninstalled BE 9.0, removed the Veritas directory and sub directories and reinstalled BE 9.0.  Of course the catalog is empty and there aren't any backup jobs defined.

Is there some say to import the data that is on the old boot drive so I don't have to recatalog every tape in the archive library and recreate all of the backup jobs?

1 REPLY 1

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Restore the entire \Data and \Catalogs directories to where ever you wish (I normally do not use the C: drive because the \Catalogs folder can get quite large and to avoid disk contention with my system disk)

Then install v8.5 to that location

Run BEUTIL and select "recover from a file" and point it to the BEDB.BAK file

This should get you back to the way you were, then install v9.1 (shared serials with v9.0 and many fewer problems) on top of v8.5

Install latest SP and driver pack for v9.1

You should now be good to go in production