cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Administration Console Hanging

Paul_Yip
Level 4
I am having a problem trying to run it on one of my machines. I have it installed on two other machines to test out and they are fine. But the one I really need it on will install but cannot run. All machines are running XP w/SP2. Trying to install version 10.0.5520. This is the weird part:

I tried running it through Windows remote desktop and it runs fine. But if I try to run it from the machine it will lock up at the splash screen and not let me log on.

I've had problems with other programs like this and it was something video related. Could this be the same problem? Or is there something else I shoudl check? Thanks for your help.

Paul
20 REPLIES 20

Paul_Yip
Level 4
anyone?

patrickkuah
Level 6
since you have succesfully setup and tested on other systems, it clearly a OS issue here. Check your event viewer and see if there is any error.
Also, disable the integrated XP firewall or other firewall if you have it enabled.

patrick

Paul_Yip
Level 4
> since you have succesfully setup and tested on other
> systems, it clearly a OS issue here. Check your event
> viewer and see if there is any error.
> Also, disable the integrated XP firewall or other
> firewall if you have it enabled.
>
> patrick

firewall is not enabled. event viewer does not say anything specifically.

Faulting application bkupexec.exe, version 10.0.5520.0, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x01598e80.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

and

Hanging application BkupExec.exe, version 10.0.5520.0, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Rich_Lichvar_2
Level 3
Please pardon the off-topic, but I just happened to stumble on to this while looking at some 8.x/9.0 issues. Paul, are you the same guy who was a featured IBM author on the ites.krcinfo.com web site a few months back? If so, I was the one who updated the web site with your bio. Too bad that company went bust a few weeks ago.

RichLich

Paul_Yip
Level 4
Sorry must be another Paul Yip

shilpa_Pawar
Level 4
Hi,

please elaborate on following:

- Are you trying to install BE v10.0 rev 5520 thorugh RDP?

- Is there any error during installation or it just hangs?

You álso wrote the following:

"I tried running it through Windows remote desktop and it runs fine. But if I try to run it from the machine it will lock up at the splash screen and not let me log on. "

- Do you mean that when installing the product locally you get some error?

- Also paste the last few lines of the file bkupinst.log with errors, which is the installation log of Backup Exec. This file can be found under C:\Windows folder.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Paul_Yip
Level 4
> Hi,
>
> please elaborate on following:
>
> - Are you trying to install BE v10.0 rev 5520 thorugh
> RDP?

No, I installed it locally but it would not run. I tried troubleshooting it through RDP and it was able to load. Once I had the user try to log in, it was hanging again.

>
> - Is there any error during installation or it just
> hangs?

I didn't see any errors. It hangs when I try to launch the console

>
> You álso wrote the following:
>
> "I tried running it through Windows remote desktop
> and it runs fine. But if I try to run it from the
> machine it will lock up at the splash screen and not
> let me log on. "
>
> - Do you mean that when installing the product
> locally you get some error?
>
No, only when I try to run the console. The installation looks like it went through fine.

> - Also paste the last few lines of the file
> bkupinst.log with errors, which is the installation
> log of Backup Exec. This file can be found under
> C:\Windows folder.
>

I will paste this info when the guy gets in as he's at another site. Thanks.

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,
We are awaiting the logs as suggested earlier.
===============================================
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Paul_Yip
Level 4
> Hello,
> We are awaiting the logs as suggested earlier.
> ===============================================
> NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two
> business days, this post would be marked assumed
> answered and would be moved to answered questions
> pool.

07-01-2005,13:28:35 : 1: INSTALL 2: 1

07-01-2005,13:28:38 : Validating install complete

07-01-2005,13:28:38 : CLEANUP: Install has removed the following files from: C:\DOCUME~1\paul\LOCALS~1\Temp\{DD2B5BC3-1FC9-4FCC-B49E-7F28AF3AACD8}
07-01-2005,13:28:38 : Removed files: bcp.exe, bcp.rll, clusconfig.xml, clusconfigl.dll, msvcr71.dll, osql.exe, Patches.ini, ResDll_EN.dll, SQLOps.dll,
07-01-2005,13:28:38 : SUCCESS: Installation has completed successfully.

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Reboot the server and verify the results. If the problem persists, perform a repair install. Refer the following technote.

Title:
Repairing Backup Exec 9.x and 10.x for Windows Servers
http://support.veritas.com/docs/253199

Do revert with the results.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Paul_Yip
Level 4
Why would I need to do a repair install if it works for other machines (including this machine in remote desktop)? This seems to be a problem with the desktop and not the server? I can't even launch the program to the point where it asks to log into a server.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

As suggested in our earlier reply perform the repair installation.

If the Backup Exec (tm) files or registry keys are missing or corrupted, they can be repaired by running the Backup Exec installation program and selecting the Repair option.

The Repair option stops all the services, reinstalls the corrupted files and registry keys, and reinstalls the tape devices. Finally, the Backup Exec services are started. The database will not be reinstalled during this process.

Any changes made to Backup Exec program files and registry keys will be reset to the original settings.

Paul_Yip
Level 4
> Hello,
>
> As suggested in our earlier reply perform the repair
> installation.
>
> If the Backup Exec (tm) files or registry keys are
> missing or corrupted, they can be repaired by running
> the Backup Exec installation program and selecting
> the Repair option.
>
> The Repair option stops all the services, reinstalls
> the corrupted files and registry keys, and reinstalls
> the tape devices. Finally, the Backup Exec services
> are started. The database will not be reinstalled
> during this process.
>
> Any changes made to Backup Exec program files and
> registry keys will be reset to the original settings.
>
>
> NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two
> business days, this post would be marked assumed
> answered
and would be moved to answered
> questions
pool.

if there was something corrupted with the server installation of backup exec, wouldn't it be safe to assume that nobody else would be able to connect? i have two other machines that connect to the server flawlessly.

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hello Paul,

Try to download and install MSXML parser v4.0 SP2 and IE v6 SP1. Restart the server after that. Please let us know the results.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hello Paul,

Download and install the MSXML parser v4.0 SP2 and IE v6 SP1. Restart the server after that. Please let us know the results.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Mike_Sancoho
Not applicable
Hey has anyone solved the problem with the crashing yet?

Faulting application bkupexec.exe, version 8.60.3878.0, faulting module bkupexec.exe, version 8.60.3878.0, fault address 0x000e1883.

Ran once thru remote desktop, closed and now crashes all the time.

Paul_Yip
Level 4
I'm still crashing...

Benjamin_George
Not applicable
Hey Paul,
I am getting the same problem, I did all the patches and updates for Backup Exec 10.0 for Windows Servers and still not getting any place, it's really frustrating.. and my install in on Windows Server 2003 with SP1.. and i am getting the same error over and over. I am curious what the fix is cause I am running out of ideas.
Even doing as he said, about doing a repair, that still didn't work..I am still getting an error when launching the application.. it loads and then the splash screen shows up then BAM!!! the error.

Paul_Yip
Level 4
Hi Benjamin,

No I did not resolve the issue yet. As much as I don't want to, I may have to rebuild that workstation cause it seems to work on every other machine. I am running out of ideas.

Paul