cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Administration Console "Access Denied"

Duane
Level 2
I've installed the Remote Administration Console onto 2 different computers and I cannot connect to the server running Backup Exec.  I receive an "Access Denied" message even though I'm supplying Administrator credentials.  I've tried domain accounts with admin privilege and I've tried local Administrator accounts.

The server running Backup Exec is Windows 2000 SP4 with a local tape drive and the Backup Exec services are running under a local account which is in the local Administrators group.  Backups are running okay but I need to provide remote administration for our Ops people.

3 REPLIES 3

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Duane,

Is this server part of a domain or is it in a workgroup?  Since the services are running as a local account, you will need use this same account for the remote session.  Are you able to Remote Desktop into the server using this account?  Is there any firewall on this server?  If so, can you disable that and attempt the connection again?

Duane
Level 2
The server is in a NT4 domain (yes NT4).  I get Access Denied even when entering credentials of the local account under which the services are running on the target system.  I enter the server name in the domain field.

I am able to use that local account to logon via remote desktop.  There are no firewall products running on the server.

I didn't mention earlier that this server was renamed after Backup Exec was installed.  It was built with a temp name and deployed into production and given its permanent name.  Could that have something to do with my problem?

Thanks.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Duane,

I'm not sure where this is in NT4 since I don't have an NT4 server I can find around me.  But one of the things we require for the Backup Exec Service account is the ability to Logon as a Service.  In Windows 2000/2003 it is under the Local Security Policy, if you can find that in NT4, make sure that the Backup Exec account has this permission as it sounds like it doesn't at this time.

Regards,