cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Administration of Backup Exec

Trinitrotoluene
Not applicable
Hello all,

I'm wondering if someone could possibly point me in the right direction. I work for a remote technical support company. We support a lot of clients who are on SBS 2003, mostly with Backup Exec installed (versions ranging from 10 to 12). To check backups and modify backup jobs at present we remotely connect using a remote desktop equivalent and visually check BackupExec on the remote server.

Is there any better way to do it than this? Ideally I would be looking for a solution where I can connect to the Backup Exec instance on the remote machine (we have full access to firewall/domains at all of these clients) and manage it locally. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have played with attempting to connect to a remote media server but I have been unable to succesfully connect over the internet (I forwarded port 1000 to the Backup exec server from their external IP). If anyone could point me towards some good documentation on how to set this up, or offer an alternative that would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Gavin
2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

do you have  VPN into client sites? 

i fso, you should be able to use the standard RemoteAdmin tool from BackupExec to connect directly to the media server(s) at each site

riva11
Level 6
Depenging the WAN bandwith the remote management could be done through the BackupExec remote connection.