cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Agent - Frustration

Brian_Clark
Level 3
I just purchased the serial for the Remote Agent for Windows Servers, and I pushed the remote agent to my server. My question is two part;

1.) I never had to give the serial number of my remote agent. Is there a place to put this in? I think this may be the root of my problem.

2.) I configured my remote agent on my second server (we will call it svr02), however I cannot see it under the Remote Selections on my backup exec. I am assuming this is because it is a server and I haven't entered the serial. Can anyone lend me a hand?

Operating Systems:

SVR01 - Small Business Server 2003 - Standard
SVR02 - Windows Server 2003 - Standard

Desktop Machines are all Windows XP Professional.

Veritas Backup Exec Version 10.0 Rev 5484
Veritas Backup Agent 10d Agent for Windows Servers

Thanks in advance for the help.

Brian Clark
9 REPLIES 9

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
Yes, you need to enter the remote agent license key into Backup Exec for it to work, at least on the remote server (not certain about the clients to be honest). Not near a BEWS installation currently, but if you look in the menu, under tools I think, you'll see a menu option for serial numbers or something similar, which will allow you to enter the details.

Once you've done that you should be able to view the remote server correctly.

Keith

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi Brian,

First thind the Backup Exec version and the Remote agent version should be on the same level. If you BE version is 10.0 5484 then obviously a remote agent of a higher version 10.1 5629 wont work with it..

Upgrade the BE version to the latest (10d) and then install the remote agent on the client. Here are the links to do the same:

The Backup Exec Version 10.1 build 5629 is the latest version of Backup Exec.

* Start the installation over the existing installation. You need not uninstal the earlier version.

Symantec Backup Exec (tm) 10d rev. 5629 for Windows Servers Installation Files
http://support.veritas.com/docs/279332

You only need to reinstall the remote agents:

Here is the link:

How to perform a local installation of the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers or the Advanced Open File Option

http://support.veritas.com/docs/258982

Secondly if you have the serial number then add it on the BE server under Tools>Serial numbers and installation.

======================

Brian_Clark
Level 3
I will try these steps, however I was specifically told by my rep that this remote agent would work with my current veritas installation.

thanks,
Brian

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

As per the Software Compatibility List, the 10.0.5484 Remote Agent is compatible with Backup Exec 10d but it is strongly recommended to upgrade the Remote Agent as well, if the version of Backup Exec on the media server is 10.1.

This is because of certain caveats in the 10.0.5484 Remote Agent which have been eliminated in 10.1.

Please note that you can use the existing Remote Agent serial number for 10.1 as well.

Regards
Padmaja

Brian_Clark
Level 3
Ok, I have upgraded to 10d, and I have also upgraded the remote agent. I am still unable to see my remote server in the "Remote Selections" area.

Am I missing something???

I went in and created a "User Defined" Selection, and now I can see that server under the "User Defined" area. When I right click on the server I put in there, and select properties, it tells me "Remote Agent Installed: YES" and "Remote Agent Running: YES"

Was this the issue? I was looking under "Remote Selections" when in fact I needed to define the remote selection?

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Brian,

Please confirm following:
- Remote Agent Service on all the systems is running under Local System Account. (LSA).

- Port 10,000 is open and running on both sides. Also this port should be in use only with beremtoe.exe and not with any other application.

- If the remote Server is behind a Firewall, atleast 50 ports from Media Server side and Atleast 25 Ports from the remote Server side should be open. And all these Ports should be open on the Firewall.

- Also there should be atleast one way trust relationship between the two Domains, in case the remote Server is in another Domain.

Hope that helps you.
Let us know in case you have further Problems.

Thanks
Regards

Brian_Clark
Level 3
1.) Ok the Remote Agent Service IS running on the Local System Account.
2.) On both Sides? I assume you are talking if my remote agent and media server are on two separate networks. This is not the case as both servers are on the same network.
3.) Is this correct still if the servers are on the same network?
4.) Same Domain, so I assume this is a non-issue.

thanks,
Brian

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

On both sides-i.e. on mediaserver as well as on the remote server.

Could you follow the steps given in the follwoing document:

How to enable support for "Restrict Anonymous" when using Backup Exec 8.6, 9.x, and 10.x for Windows Servers

http://support.veritas.com/docs/238618

Regards
Padmaja

Brian_Clark
Level 3
Ok as you asked I have enabled teh "Restrict Anonymous". I am not sure what this was suppose to do, however nothing has changed.

Anyway, I have found the issue......
It appeared to me when I was reviewing this page: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/255500.htm

I saw that one of the reasons I would not be able to see the remote selection is because I was having "Name Resolution" Issues. So I checked "My Network Places" and sure enough I wasn't able to see any computers on my network. On the server that runs Backup Exec, I went into the Network Card -> TCP/IP Properties -> Wins -> and checked "Enable NetBios over TCP/IP". Once I checked this, all my computers and servers started showing up and I am now able to see my remote agent.

Anyway, if anyone else is having this same problem, click the link I posted above and it should help you work through this.

thanks for everyone's help.