cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Agent for Windows Systems and Windows System Backup Exec 2010

Segun
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I successfully installed the Symantec Backup Exec on a server where my Active Directory is sitting, i added the following licenses (SQL, DLO, RAWS, Deduplication, Active Directory Recovery Agent, Backup Exec). I discovered in the installed agent that RAWS is not installed on my media server, i tried installing locally from my media kit, the installation was succesful but the option is not available yet. I tried to run a backup job on the system state and the local drives of the server but i am having error log. Please can anyone help on this.

11 REPLIES 11

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

You do NOT need a RAWS installed on the Media Server (RAWS stands for Remote Agent for Windows Systems)

What error(s) are you getting in the job log??

{edit}

You do not need to install the RAWS separately.  it is installed as part of the media server install

{/edit}

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...RAWS is actually installed on a media server, but not used in the same way as it is on a remote server.

Make sure your media server is fully patched too...

Segun
Level 3
Partner Accredited

This are the errors i'm having

1) Error between Remote Engine and Media Engine

2) Hardware error

But i can backup the SQL database.

Segun
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Please I don't understand "Make sure your media server is fully patched too". Can u explain better.

CraigV

...Symantec releases patches like any other company, and these fix issues with a particular version.

Run LiveUpdate from within BE to download and install these patches.

Segun
Level 3
Partner Accredited

OK

So if i run the BE Live update and get the patches and the RAWS is installed on my media server i can backup the windows state and local drives like a Remote Window System?

CraigV

Not necessarily, but it is part of the troubleshooting process...

ng_niwis
Not applicable
Partner

You should probably keep in mind that BE 2010 is primarily for backing up Application/User data, and not complete systems. BE 2012 is a lot better suited for that because it incorporates components of Symantec System Recovery.

Vasilis_Peppas
Level 4
Partner Accredited

You will not see the remote agent as a program in the start menu. In the service tab of the mmc console you will find the service . BE uses the agent to communicate with itself ( why it works this way I have no idea, it just  does). Also make sure that the remote agent service is running with the Localsystem account and not with the backup user that is used with the rest  of the Backup Exec services.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

There are multiple reasons why the media server has the remote agent service installed, however at a basic level:

To backup itself it needs the same routines and processes to enumerate and access the file system as used by a remote agent on a remote server. It also uses the same routines to package data and stream it to the process on the media server that writes the data to storage, as such why develop and test another set of processes just because the media server is backing up itself, why not just use a local copy of the same program code and processes that you already have developed for a remote server

Segun
Level 3
Partner Accredited

You mean i do not need a RAWS even if i need to backup my local drives on the media server, and System State (i mean ntds, system volume and more) for active directory granular recovery and more?

Please i need a clearification on this that, do i need to seperate my media server from my domain controller or can i install the backup exec 2010 on my domain controller and still be able to backup my directory services like the active directory and also will i be able to recover them using the Granular Recovery Tool. thanks.