cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Agent help!?

brandoman
Level 2

We have Backup Exec 9.1 for small business, and we purchased the remote agent. I originally installed the agent a couple months ago and when i did so I received this error during installation:

"Error 1706.No valid source could be found for product VERITAS Backup Exec for Windows Servers. The Windows installer cannot continue."

So i went back into TOOLS - Serial Numbers and Installation to try again, and i see in the box that the remote agent is installed. So i setup a backup job to test and i could backup all of our shared folders on the remote server, but i could not backup any local drives, i have ran it like this for a couple months because all i cared about were the client files(i know, not smart..) and i have even recoverd data from the remote server. Last night however, my back up failed and it says:

"Completed status: FailedFinal error: 0xa000846b - Device could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Remote Agent for Windows Servers. Make sure that the Remote Agent for Windows Servers is running on the target computer." 

So none of my shared folders were backed up on the remote server this time, why does this all of a sudden happen now? 

I need to get this remote server backing up ASAP, if the agent really isnt installed on the remote server than why has it been working all this time, and if i do need to install this again, why am i getting the error above when i try to install?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4

brandoman
Level 2
..Also, the remote Agent service IS running on the remote server..

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

If no changes have been made to the network or media  server, sounds like the demo period of 60 days has expired

Do you see the serial for the base code (media server) when you check?

brandoman
Level 2
When i go into Serial Numbers and Installation, i see 2 serial numbers, one for the Small business server and 1 for the remote agent. I believe it has been about 60 days, so then how do I get this remote agent installed? As I said in the original post i get an error when i try to install, even with the Veritas disk in the server.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
As long as the RAWS serial is installed on the media server see http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/265736.htm