cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Agent service terminated unexpectedly

Darryl_Roberts
Level 3
We are running Backup Exec 10.0.5484. The media server is the same server as runs MS Exchange Server. So the Remote Agent is installed on this server.

After backing up 6 individual mailboxes, the job was no longer able to contact the Exchange server. The system event log shows that the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Server terminated unexpectedly. I don't know if it dying during backing up of individual mailboxes has anything to do with the problem.

The service terminated at 12:20 AM, so it was outside the Exchange Server maintenance window.

The Exchange server runs Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange Servers. I don't know if this has any affect on why the remote agent terminated unexpectedly.

We have had problems with the remote agent dying in the past, so I set the service to restart if it stops. The verification pass was able to verify the 6-1/2 individual mailboxes OK and the remote agent is still running.

I have seen knowledge base articles and news group postings about Backup Exec 8.6 and 9.1 having a problem with the remote agent terminating unexpectedly, but not with version 10.0.

How do I prevent the remote agent v.10 from terminating unexpectedly?
1 REPLY 1

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi,

Please ensure that the remote agent service is running under the local system account.

Does the issue only occur during the mailbox backups?

Is the issue sporadic?

You could also check out the following document:

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.