cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Agent won't allow backup of new server

scwt
Level 2
We have 10d on a Windows 2003 server and are adding a new Windows 2003 server.  I talked to Symantec sales and they told me that I needed to by the 11d remote agent and that it is backwardly compatible with 10d. I added the serial number for the 11d agent on my media server then was able to install the remote agent from 10d onto the remote server.  When I try to back up the drives on the remote server are greyed out and the error indicates that either:

The agent on the remote server may be a previous or incompatible version. or
The remote agent is not installed on the remote computer (it is and I even re-installed it). or
A license for the remote agent is not installed on the media server. or
I am not authorized to access the item.

I  have already run tcpview and made sure that both servers are listening on the same port.

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Whoever you talked to was either lying or incompetent

A v10d media server WILL NOT talk to a v11d RemoteAgent

used to be back in the Veritas v7 and v8 days that you could give support the new serial, and they would EMail you a back-level serial.  Don't know if Symantec would do this or not, but I doubt it

(You can often find older BackupExec serials on EBay and the other Auction sites)

scwt
Level 2
If anyone from Symantec participates in this forum I would like to get a definitive answer from them about this.  I called Symantec Sales before making the purchase and was told this was what we should purchase.  After I had trouble with it I e-mailed support and was told that they only support people with eval copies, not those who actually paid for the product.  I called Symantec sales again on Monday the 26th and was told once more that I had the correct product but should have purchased support.  Am I now to believe that they wanted me to pay for support to be told that Sales had me buy the wrong product to start with?

WHS_NU
Level 2
Hi,

I am having a similar problem but with same versions of BackupExec (10d) and Agent (10d).

It does seem they want us to pay for support. I was told that pay per incident was £49.00 !!!!!. That's no guarnatee that the problem will be solved.

If you get a resolution could you please post it for everyone's benefit ?

Thanks.

WHS_Nu