cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Agent

Filip_Notebaert
Level 4
Backup stops with error: The network connection to the Backup Exec Remote Agent has been lost. Please check for network errors.
A timeout occurred waiting for completion of media server data processing.

I don't understand since I have no remote servers being backed up.
Actually, does the Remote Agent service has to be running if no remote servers are present ?

I am using MS SBS 2003 with Backup Exec 9.1 Rev. 4691, with SP4a.

Thanks in advance,

Filip
7 REPLIES 7

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

1. Please check whether the port 10000 is open for backup exec

2. Also under tools-options-network and firewall have you set use any available network interface.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Filip_Notebaert
Level 4
Hi Sharvari,

1. Why should port 10000 be open for Backup Exec when I have no remote servers at all ? Only 1 server is running at the client.

2. The option to use any available network interface was already set.

But you didn't answer my question regarding the Remote Agent service. Does that service need to be running when no remote servers are present ?

Thanks again,

Filip

Filip_Notebaert
Level 4
Hello Veritas support, please read my question above.
That shouldn't be that hard to answer.

Thanks.

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello Filip,

Yes the remote agent service plays an integral role during the local backups also. Thus it has to be running using the Local system account. Check if it is running as mentioned which might help resolve the problem.

Revert in case you have further queries on this.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Filip_Notebaert
Level 4
Hi Priya,

the service is indeed running under LSA.

The backup still hangs on that error.

Filip

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Please let us know if the following technote is useful.

(title) A timeout occurred waiting for data from the agent during operation shutdown" or "The network connection to the Backup Exec Remote Agent has been lost. Check for network errors" (a00084f8 HEX or e00084f8 HEX) is reported during a backup operation.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/258159

Note:- if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Filip_Notebaert
Level 4
Hi,

the above linked document didn't provide any help.

Please provide another possible solution.

Thanks,

Filip