Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Backup Recommendations

Graham_Webber
Level 3
Partner

Hello,

I am after some suggestions on how to backup Exchange (2003) over a WAN link. (both sites are on the same domain)

I have 2 sites connected with a 1mbit link, both run individual installations of Backup Exec 11d, with the Exchange agent. In the items below I will refer to the servers as SERVER1 and SERVER2 – they are on separate sites.

I would like to backup exchange from one site to the other, and am looking for some recommendations. (All data is being backed up locally)

1, I have tried backing up a remote exchange server directly from a remote server (backing up SERVER1 from SERVER2), but the job is failing with “The network connection to the Backup Exec Remote Agent has been lost”.

2, I have also tried creating a backup to disk job on the local server (SERVER1) then copy the files from SERVER1 to SERVER2. This option appears to work, apart from the size of the backup never stops growing, even though I have specified that BackupExec should overwrite the media – creating a new IMG000XXX directory every time the job runs.

3. At the moment I am running an NTBACKUP to create a copy backup of exchange to the local server (SERVER1) and copying the file to the remote server (SERVER2). I am using this method because NTBACKUP does replace the file.

If anybody has any other suggestions please let me know.

Thanks for the help.

Graham

1 REPLY 1

Scott_P
Level 4
Employee Certified
Hi Graham,
Please see the link below in regards to the IMG files not overwriting and the GRT back up technology. You will need a seperate partition for the Exchange B2D folder in order for it to overwrite successfully.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/286794.htm

As far as trying to back up the data over a WAN, is that because of the other issues you're experiencing, or just for redundancies' sake?

Regards,
Scott