Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Backup question

neil_richings1
Level 3
Hi All,

Quick question as after top level airy fairy response to lead our thinking

We've got a dedicated Backup exec 10.0 server with FC attached Tape and an iSCSI B2D

We're running x64 MSX07 and need BEXEC 12.5 to back this up, that's fine, BEXEC working a treat backing up to DISK FOLDERS,  I've set BEXEC 12.5 to see the iSCSI B2D which it does and it backs up to it beautifully.

Question .. How do we then get the data from the B2D device to tape on the dedicated BEXEC10 server...   as the BEXEC 10 Server has no idea what another session of BEXEC has backed up to it ..    do we need to do something with the catalogue's .. ie moving them across the network,  or is it related to Central Admin Server options within BEXEC

Any thoughts or ideas most gratefully received ! Thanks, N
4 REPLIES 4

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
BE 10 is going to have problems reading the catalogs from BE 12.5, so you won't be able to just move the B2D files to the BE10 server and catalog them. You can backup the B2D files as flat files from the BE10 server, but I would really not recommend this just because of all the problems you will run into when you need to restore exchange.  From my experience, the easiest way to get that data on tape will be to move the tape drive to BE12 server and run duplicates from there.

neil_richings1
Level 3
Viceversa with the 10. server then is that right ? ie moving BE10 catalogues to BE12.5 ..

or how about if we ran both up to 12.5 and then set central admin options ?

Think i may need to read the manual and see how that functionality works

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
BE12.5 can read the catalogs for BE10.  Backup Exec is backwards compatible, not forward compatible.  Even if you were to setup the Cental Admin option(CAS) the tape drive would need to be directly attached to the server that ran the backup for the duplicate to work, unless it's SAN attached and shared between both servers.  The CAS option will let you deligate jobs out to other servers it's not really going to help for what you are trying to accomplish.

If both servers are connected to the tape drive/library via SAN you can share the drive between the two servers and run duplicates that way to get them on tape, but you will need both servers to be on the same version of BE for best results.

neil_richings1
Level 3
I'm going to move the tape drive from our BE10 Server to BE12.5 when we get time, in meantime i'm going to use Backup to disk folders, to make sure these are safe is it as simple as copying them to a network drive and then backing up using BE10 to tape until I get opportunity to move the drive across ?

Appreciate help Cheers N