cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Branch Office

James_Magee
Level 2
I have a client that has (2) servers, (1) SBS 2003 and (1) Windows 2003 running Terminal Services. He will be opening a branch office with a full-time VPN connection over a T-1. Can I install a new server at the branch office that will act as a backup domain controller as well as running Backup Exec 10.d with CPS and (2) agents for the servers at the main office?
3 REPLIES 3

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
Well in theory I don't see why not, it should certainly work I think, however unless you planned not to make full use of the obvious backup benefits, for instance Exchange and SQL Backup, it would be more expensive that way.

The way you propose you'd need a full copy of Backup Exec Server for the branch office, plus the remote agents, plus an Exchange agent (and SQL agent if you have Premium edition). However if the backup were done from the SBS server, you could use Backup Exec SBS edition, plus two remote agents, and backup everything on all three servers. Of course that depends on if you have a suitable backup drive at the main office, which may be why you're looking at this solution.

So yes, not necessarily how I'd like to do it, but certainly possible, though you do need to consider what you're going to do about Exchange, since you obviously can't have SBS at the branch office, you can't replicate Exchange there, and can't delegate a subdomain to it.

James_Magee
Level 2
Keith,

Thank you for your reply. I am currently running full backups at the main office to (2) USB hard drives using the SBS Backup on one and the regular NT Backup on the other. The backups currently run fine. The problem is that my client fails to rotate these drives when he is supposed to so there is rarely an offsite backup. Even if I installed a tape drive, I'm sure they would not change it regularly and take one off-site. To solve this, he is insisting on installing a backup server at the branch office. It's seems like overkill but I will do whatever he wants. As you said, moving the SBS Server to the branch office is not an option. I am very interested in using the CPS features. I'm just concerned about doing this over the WAN link.

Thanks again!

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Yes, over the WAN, it can be slow. To keep another copy of the backup jobs, you can also suggest the client to run duplicate backups.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/255866