cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote NDMP to SAS Tape Library Possible?

C_MC
Level 2

Did not find a cut/dry answer to this issue anywhere...

Can I do a remote NDMP backup of a Netapp filer to a SAS tape library via backup exec with the NDMP option?

The Netapp filer connects to the media server over ethernet, media server would connect to the tape library via SAS.

From what I get from the Backup Exec hardware compatibility list pg 135:

3. At this time, no NDMP vendors support SAS tape libraries. Therefore the options are SCSI or Fibre Channel.

Is this only referring to a tape library directly attached to the Netapp device?

Thanks for any info

5 REPLIES 5

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Not sure but I think they are talking about the library connected directly to the NDMP server as it will be the NDMP directly talking to the library but if your library is connected to the BE server then data is moving from the BE and BE is talking to the library so I think should not be a problem and should work that way.

teiva-boy
Level 6

It will work fine as described, REMOTE-NDMP with the library attached to the media server.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Yes that should work (and in fact will work to a B2D device on the media server as well) the document is referring to connecting the SAS device to the NDMP device - not to the media server.

You will still need the NDMP Option and to add your NDMP device into the devcies screen in Backup Exec (even though it has no tapes directly atteched) as NDMP is still potentially a faster protocol than CIFS.

C_MC
Level 2

FYI..

I spent 20 minutes on a confence call with Symantec engineers and this is the reply that I got...

Looks like the HCL document is not quite clear (only applies to directly attached devices).. It will work.

Sorry for the misinterpretation of the HCL document.

“At this time, no NDMP vendors support SAS tape libraries. Therefore the options are SCSI or Fibre Channel.”

What we mean by NDMP vendors is, for example, Netapp. This line specifically refers to the ability for a Netapp device to communicate in NDMP over a specific port. As far as Netapp is concerned, they are able to connect directly using NDMP over SCSI, or FC, but not SAS.

This line specifically applies to direct attached storage, which is not what you are trying to do.

In sum, you may connect an SAS tape library to the Media Server, as long as you add the proper Host Bus Adapter.

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Please mark the post as solution which helped you most