cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Selection Greyed on Random Computers

Level 2
Hello All,

I am currently using Veritas Backup Exec 8.60 Rev 3878 and I have a problem backing up to certain remote computers, currently I have 2 server one is running NT4 SP4, this server can see all the computers on our domain and has no backup issues when backing up to remote selection.

However, on a identically configured Windows 2000 Server with SP4 and Vertias Backup Exec 8.60 Rev 3878 when you browse the network certain computers are greyed out and when you click on the computers to select your backup criteria the program returns (None) in all the fields.

I originally through this was the Backup Exec Remote Agent, so I have installed the remote agent on the NT4 and Windows 2000 Server and still the situation is not changed, the NT4 server can see all the servers on the domain and the Windows 2000 Server can only see certain computers on the domain.

Also, when looking at the license information the NT4 server the license type/option appears as "Not for Resale" whereas the WIndows 2000 Sever computer displays "Datacentre Server Edition" as well as "SAN Shared Storage Option", it seems strange that the NT4 server with "Not for Resale" can see all the computers on the network, whereas the Windows 2000 system cannot.

Please can you help me with this issue, as I am not sure if a settings needs to be changed of if a service pack or update needs to be used, but this is a critical issue that I would like to get resolved as soon as possible.

Many thanks in advance for any feedback,

Regards,

Lee Croucher
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Do you have enough Remote Agent Licenses for all the computers that you are trying to connect to from the 2000 box?

Can you ping both ways by both name and IP address (you said that the "greyouts" were random, tho, right?)

Level 2
Yes we have enough licenses, however this is not the issue, as it does not appear on all computers.

Also yes I can ping the computer name as well as the IP address

Regards,

Lee Croucher

John_Rasmussen_
Level 3
it could be that the Drive share D$ has been removed. I once had a backup running but then after one weekend I could not edit the remote selection (it where grayed out).. I later found out That another Admin had removed the Drive share D$.. I then added the share to the drive,, and it then again worked after this little share thing.. try it out.

JR

uz
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
as the NT box is running a NFR license, to isolate the license as reason (I doubt it is the license) Just change the license for the W2K box for testing purpos only.

Save the current besnnum.txt of the W2k box (c:\winnt) and copy over the besnnum.txt from the NT box.

Start the BE installation on the W2K box and when prompted for the licenses just import the besnnum.txt from the NT box. Veryfy that all the options you need are checked. - finish the setup.

Check whether anything changed. - If still the NT box can see all servers and the W2K box can only see a few of them, - change back the besnnum.txt files to have the licenses as they have been before the test.

If there is a change - just find out, what license is missing on the W2K box.

Besides, do those servers not shown properly do have anything in common ? All NT4 boxes or W2K boxes or all on a special subnet or or or ...

I did understand right, those servers not seen by W2K are selectable without problems from the NT4 box ?

Regards

uz