cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Site Synthetic Backups

IPG
Level 4

Hi all,

I have a remote site that has around 500GB worth of data that I need to copy back to the head office for disaster recovery purposes.  We have a slow WAN link between the 2 sites and I don't care about GRT, just the files, so synthetic backups seem to be the best fit.

Can someone give me a really quick overview of how I go about getting the baseline backup?

Do I need to install a media server at the remote site and then baseline backup to disk there?

Can I then just pick that disk up and bring it back to head office and plug it into my media server and it will recognise it and incremental properly?

I'm just having a hard time understanding how to get the initial baseline and the admin guide doesn't seem to offer any straight forward answers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Do I need to install a media server at the remote site and then baseline backup to disk there?

Yes.

Can I then just pick that disk up and bring it back to head office and plug it into my media server and it will recognise it and incremental properly?

No.

Using synthetic backup is not the solution as you would still be transferring a lot of data over the WAN link when you do an incremental backup.  The best solution for your situation is to set up 2 media servers with dedup, one at your head office and the other at the remote site and then use optimised dedup to duplicate the backup over the WAN link.  This way, only the changed data blocks are shipped across the WAN link.  You might want to read more about optimised dedup in the dedup chapter in the Admin Guide.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Take a look at these:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO23536

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO23535

IPG
Level 4

Thanks for your response.

I've read these documents before but they don't really answer my specific questions, they're very high level.

If I set the remote site to backup to a remote disk, will the traffic route through the media server or will it go directly from server to disk?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Yes.

No.

Using synthetic backup is not the solution as you would still be transferring a lot of data over the WAN link when you do an incremental backup.  The best solution for your situation is to set up 2 media servers with dedup, one at your head office and the other at the remote site and then use optimised dedup to duplicate the backup over the WAN link.  This way, only the changed data blocks are shipped across the WAN link.  You might want to read more about optimised dedup in the dedup chapter in the Admin Guide.

IPG
Level 4

Thank you for your reply - that makes sense and it what I needed :)

Machine_Transla
Level 3
Employee

注:以下是机器翻译,请评论或vote您是否觉得有用,谢谢!

问题:

嗨全部,

我有远程站点,这些远程站点有大约 500 GB 价值我对磁带复录需要到总公司用于灾难恢复目的数据。 我们有 2 个站点之间的慢的 WAN 链接,我不介意大约 GRT,仅仅文件,因此合成备份似乎是最佳匹配。

某人可以给我我如何着手得到基准备份的一个真的快速概览吗?

我需要安装在远程站点的介质服务器然后在那里磁盘的基准备份吗?

我可以然后只是拾起该磁盘吗,并且把它带回总公司,并且把它插入我的介质服务器,它将认可它并且适当地增量?

我将正非常艰辛,理解如何得到初始的基准,管理员指南似乎不提供任何直接的回答。

一些帮助将被大大地重视。

欢呼

解决方案:

我需要安装在远程站点的介质服务器然后在那里磁盘的基准备份吗?

是的。

我可以然后只是拾起该磁盘吗,并且把它带回总公司,并且把它插入我的介质服务器,它将认可它并且适当地增量?

不。

在您做增量备份时,当您将仍然在 WAN 链接上传输很多数据时,使用合成备份不是解决方案。 您方情况的最佳解决方案是设置有 dedup 的 2 个介质服务器,在您的总公司的一个以及另一个在远程站点然后使用优选 dedup 以在 WAN 链接上复制备份。 这样,只有更改的数据块跨 WAN 链接被出货。 您可能想读取更多关于在管理指南的 dedup 章中优选 dedup 的情况。