cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote agent

beckeme
Level 2
There have been several situations where backup have started during production periods. This causes slow response to users.

Is there a way to keeps jobs from running against certain servers during a production window?

Will stopping the remote agent on a server keep a BE job from running against that server?
5 REPLIES 5

Dave_Bunye
Level 6
The proper way to prohibit this is found on the schedule portion of each job. Edit your job and check the schedule node. On this node you will see an option called "Time Window". This controls when the job can start, and the latest time that it can start.

For instance, if you put in Start no earlier than 12:01am and no later than 4:00am, the you would provide it with a 4 hour window. If the job starts at 3:59am then it will run until completion, however if it tried to start at 4:01am then it would be skipped and rescheduled to it's nexct schedule date/time. The "no later than" setting should be set to give enough time to complete if it did start simply a minute before. So in my case, I use the 4am setting because I need to make sure jobs are done prior to 8am when it gets busy.

There is also an automatic job cancellation setting located on the Priority and Availability node. This setting would allow you to cancel any job which goes over x amount of time. If needed, you could couple this setting with the above settings to guarantee the job is done at a specific time.

Hope this helps.

beckeme
Level 2
Thank you for your response.

Yes, your suggestion will set the job to execute during the time window and will definately work.

What has happened is that an administrator have been modifying a job and inadvertently started the job during the production day.

What I am looking for is having the server rejecting the backup request. I was thinking of stopping the remote agent on the server during the production day.

Dave_Bunye
Level 6
Yeah, definately use the time window and automatic cancellation, that will do what you need. Bad thing about stopping the services would be if you forget to restart them. :)

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Do not stop the remote agent service , as mentioned earlier if you do not restart them it will create a problem during the backup.

Thank you for updating us on this issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as assumed answered and moving it to answered questions pool.