cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removable Backup to Disk not filling up drives

jgruber
Level 2

The enviroment has a Windows Server 2003 with 5 removable USB hard drives. I have muliple enviroments with different versoins of backup exec (from 9.1 to 12). The tape is to be switched every day (mon thru fri) and a backup run each evening (mon thru fri). The problem is thier is only one backup each drive. Backup Exec overwrites the last backup instead of creating a new one. Thier will only be one 60GB backup on a 300GB drive. I need the backup to be succesfull even if the person on site forgets to change te backup disk. I do not want to append because I am worried if a file is corrupt it will destroy all of the backups on that drive. What I need is Backup Exec to use free space then overwrite with no append.

Thanks in advance

5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

From Tools\Options\Media Mangement\

verify that "use scratch media before overwritable media in target media set" is seleceted

Overwrite protection verify that FULL or Partial is selected not NONE  

What is/are the OPP for the media set?

Make sure that the job specifies Overwrite

jgruber
Level 2

It is still overwriting the files instead of using free space

OPP: 0 Hours

Append: 0 Hours

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Change the OPP of the media set to 20 days and see waht happens

(tho if you set the Global Overwrite Option to use scratch media first that should have worked too)

jgruber
Level 2

I do not want to set it up with a wait period because then if the backup job gets to big it will fail. Do i need to reboot services or something? I have tried this on two servers and neither worked...

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

if you need to set the OPP to 2 or 3 hours, but by all means make sure the Global Media Management is set to use Scratch before overwriteable