cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing Catalogues

colin_marr
Level 5
I have veritas 9.1 Yes its old.

Anyway when you click Restore the "Restore Job Properties" opens . Listed here are all the catalogues from all of the backups. I asume that what is listed here is all jobs that have been done in the past whether the backups have been over written or not or whether they can be restored or not. I would like to clean this up by deleting many of the catalogs. Particularly of course those that cant be restored.

Do just basically have to look at the dates that they were created and then delete them. I guess there is no better way of managing this eg automatically delete after say 6 months which is far longer than we keep backups. And if per chance I delete a current catalogue that could be use. I suppose I could just re create it again cant I ??

Any thoughts or comments on this?

Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

DarrenW
Level 3

Hi Colin,

I don't use ver9.1 myself, but later versions all have a maintenance option to "truncate" catalogs. You can set this to say 6 months, and in the maintenance period it should automatically remove catalogs over 6 months old.

This is currently in Tools - Options - settings - catlog

Your version probably isn't a lot different. ;-)

colin_marr
Level 5

Hey thanks I never knew that that was there Thanks just what I needed.

Regards

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
@DarrenW
Actually what TRUNCATE does is NOT delete the catalog.  It removes all details, but retains the volume info, along with OPP and APP

@Colin
If the tape volumeBKF file is overwritten, the old catalog is deleted and a new one  created.  The catalog is what BackupExec thinks is available for restore, based in what volumes have been used and/or reused