cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace media server - best practice to transfer existing BUE data

Rider
Level 3
Partner
I will be moving my 11d 7170 BUE media server install to a new server. The current server and new server are Windows 2003 and BUE is using a SQL database on the current server. The new server won't have a SQL install. I've found the following Symantec document on doing the move and thought I had a great walk through but the following is listed:
"Backup Exec is installed to a SQL 2000/2005 instance, instead of a default Microsoft SQL Express instance installed by Backup Exec...
If any of the above mentioned conditions are true, this procedure cannot be performed and Backup Exec will need to be freshly installed and re-configured."
It seems that I'm out of luck though I also see this document:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/286093.htm
Unfortnately I need to change the name of the server and this document mentions BUE build 6235 and not 7170.

I'm looking for the best option to move my existing setup to the new server and if the second document is my best option what data will be lost since I won't be changing the computer name?

Thank you.
2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You should be able to install the new server in Demo Mode, then use BEUTIL to copy the config to the new server, then remove the serials from the old machine and add them to th new machine

Then copy the \catalogs directory to the new server and stop/start the BE services, and you should be good to go

(You may have to edit your jobs to point to new device names)

Rider
Level 3
Partner
Thanks Ken.
I may not be able to do this for a week or so since I'm waiting for a SCSI card to ship, but I'll post an update when I get it done.

Matthew