cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repopulate server list from catalogs without recataloging each tape

maaiit
Level 2

I inadvertenly deleted some of my old servers from the Servers list in Backup Exec. Can I get these servers back without recataloging each tape? We have hundreds of tapes, we never overwrite them. I have all of the catalog files.

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

Steve-Young
Level 6
Employee

If you removed the server from the Backup/Restore tab it only removes the jobs.

If you have "catalogs" around for those removed servesr you should be able to restart the services and the servers should show back up in the Backup/Restore tab with ability to restore data based on the catalogs present in the catalog folder.  Everytime BE services restart itindexes the catalog folder.  If for some reason you have catalog trunctation turned on and these are older servers with offsite tapes for example..the catalogs files may not exist in the BE catalog folder.... and to get the servers back in the UI. you would need to re-catalog the tapes.

Steve,

Thanks for the reply. When I initially installed Backup Exec on this sever and copied over the catalogs from the previous server it populated the server list with the older servers, which I then deleted. I need to re-populate that list without re-cataloging hundreds or thousands of tapes. I'd rather reinstall Backup Exec than start cataloging all of those tapes. I have backup copies of all of the catalog files.

You indicated "copied over the catalogs from the previous server".  Just copy them over again and dont overwrite any existing catalog files on the new server.  Restart  the services after.

I opened Case Number: 180315-001271 this morning and that is basically what they did, and I am seeing the old servers, however I am not seeing some of the jobs I need.

The technician was messing with the C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data folder from the previous backup server, I don't remember needing that when I copied the catalogs previously.

Once you delete a old server it deletes the jobs associated with it.  You get a prompt warning about the jobs will be deleted.  Once the deletion of the server is done from the UI the backup job setups are gone for good.  Your job history/logs should be around for those servers depending on how far back you are keeping job history. If your purpose is to re-create the jobs you can possibly look at the history to determine what was backed up and when the jobs generally ran to help rebuild new jobs.   If the old media server is still around you could view the job setups from there as well.  Job setup does not follow one media server to another unless you migrate the Backup Exec database originally.   It's also technically posible if you have the \data folder and BEDB database form old server to setup another server with same version of BE and drop in the databsae files.  This would allow you to open BE and see if the jobs are there and look at the settings to  assist in recreating the jobs on the new server - There is also a BEMCLI Export-BEBackupDefinition that can be used to create new backup jobs for additional agent servers and backup selections using the same job settings that were contained in the original backup definition.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you still have servers with backups and do not want to see them, you should put them in the Retired Servers list, rather than deleting them.