cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ressource error in backup exec

benben2410
Level 2

Hello,

I use an old version of backup exec for a 2003 DC which is also my fileserver.

I added a NAS to my environment with the main share \\nas\backups.

I configured backup exec not only to backup local disks to the tape backup but to add a userspecified network path to the backup.

I can specify the files of the NAS-share to backup in the backup wizard so it ist not really an access problem.

The problem seems that backup exec trys to access all treeitems to the path it backups the files.

e.g. for the file test.txt in \\nas\backups it trys to get access to \\nas and \\nas\backups.

But the problem is that in \\nas backup exec has no rights so it fails and because a ressource error means complete fail, the whole process stops.

I tried to specify another abortion rule but the default rule for ressource errors cannot be changed. I would prefer to ignore it.

Does someone know either a way to ignore the error or find another solution to backup files from my NAS?

Thx

Greets Ben

7 REPLIES 7

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

What is your BE version ?

And do you have a RAWS (Remote Agent for Windows) license installed ?
Backup Exec requires this to backup a remote server (it thinks it is a windows machine, as it backups a CIFS share).

benben2410
Level 2

Hello,

backup exec 11d for Windows Servers. It runs on the server and backups the local DC,Exchange... and now it should also backup the other backups of other computers from the NAS.

I dont think I need a backup agent on a NAS.

The problem is that i have right in the share but not on the root of the NAS.

And backup exec aborts bbecause of the root access error.

Greets

Ben

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Is it possible to provide read and/or traverse rights to the root of the NAS ?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Although you probably cannot install the remote agent on the NAS, you still need a RAWS licence to back it up.  However, you would not get such a licence because BE 11d is EOL.  You may have a problem later when the trial period for the remote agent runs out.

You need to add the BE credential as a local admin on the NAS with read/write acess to the entire volume.

benben2410
Level 2

I tried to get root access to the NAS, but didnt reach the goal until now

(NAS is low budget Zyxel NSA325-v2)

At the moment I have no clue.

Greets Ben

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Per the NAS's admin guide - ftp://ftp2.zyxel.com/NSA325_v2/user_guide/NSA325%20v2_V4.70%20Ed3.pdf

root or admin with password 1234 is the top level account.

benben2410
Level 2

Thx. I check it later.