cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoration problem

vigneshwaran
Level 6

Hi Team,

I taken some backups in one tape. Now i'm trying to restore the data it's not showing the data.Pls help on this. i ran the catalog also but it's not happening.

Version : 12.5 Rev 2213.

27 REPLIES 27

Solution4all
Level 4

Unselect beginning date filter in restore selection.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

What is the error when you run catalog.

Were is the backup taken on tape or disk

Thanks

vigneshwaran
Level 6

Hi sameer,

No errors while run the catalog.

Bakeup taken in tape.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Thanks for the update,

Please try few things

1 Move the tape by going to all media in backup exec to retired media

2 Then right click on same tape and delete it

3 Once done please ensure too BE12.5 is fully patched up with all updates using live update

4 After doing this and verifying this please inventory the slot in which the tape is or the drive

5 By going to tools-options-catalogs- uncehck storage based catalog

6 Then after inventory is done please run the catalog once

7 Ensure catalog .of it completes with byte count whether it is failed or succesfull

8 Finally right click on tape and click on restore data and check if data is visible

If still not then try duplicating data from tape to disk using the tape media name in duplicate job .

Hope that helps

Thanks

vigneshwaran
Level 6

Hi Sameer,

thanks for your Quick Response.

About our Backup server updates pls find the scrren shot and i have some doubts.

1. If i move the tape to retired media and delete this tape the tape will be delete from the tape??

2. If our Backup Server is not updated with live update that will impact this job?

Note: Our BE server don't have the internet access. So we are not updating with BE Live update.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

1 No when you delete the tape ,data is not removed so don't worry we just want to remove it reference from backup exec database

2 Backup exec fully patched up always is good sign of consistency and hope you would love to ensure you it too

Link to download sp4 for BE12.5

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH135716

Please download other hotifxes after sp4 from the below link which shows list of updates after sp4

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=answers&startover=y&language=Change+Support+Language&question_box=backup+exec+12.5+service+pack+4&product_finder=Backup+Exec&productselectorkey=15047&myclicker.x=0&myclicker.y=0

Hopefully you can download this updates for the server having internet and install It manually to ensure it is on sp4 and all updates after it

Thanks

vigneshwaran
Level 6

Hi Sameer,

If i not installed patches after SP4. it will affect this method.?

VJware
Level 6

Seems a duplicate of https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/restore-23

Probably better if we stick to one thread :)

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Certainly not I gave you link so that you can update once for all so up to you but that won't affect the above procedure also ensure once you update backup exec update remote agent on your remote server so they will be on same level too and will ensure consistent backup and restores so if you update sp4 and other update in one short you can update remote agent also once else you would have to do this task when you update other updates after sp4 again 

Hope that helps

Thanks

vigneshwaran
Level 6

Hi,

I updated the patches after SP4 the same time we will update the Remote agent also. So it's taking more time for our process and downtime also required. So i'm planing to do this procedure without paches after SP4. Pls confirm me this is correct way for avoide more time.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Yes you can plan as like you get time ,I just tried giving a best way to achieve this in one short ,but yes above process won't be affected even if you don't install any updates after sp4 but it will only increase your overhead of updating remote agent twice once after sp4 update on media server and later after updating patches after sp4 on media server.

Thanks

vigneshwaran
Level 6

Thanks for your quick response sameer. I'll try it and update you.

vigneshwaran
Level 6

Hi Can you explain the last point.

"If still not then try duplicating data from tape to disk using the tape media name in duplicate job"

Thanks in Advance.

- vicky.

vigneshwaran
Level 6

Hi

I tried the above steps but still not showing the data's.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Is there any error ,is catalog completing with some byte count or is that zero byte count

Thanks

vigneshwaran
Level 6

Hi,

Catalog completed with byte count 847,604,733,639 (we are using LTO 3 tape 400/800 GB).

In the job log shows some Tape Alerts, Please find the below alerts.

----- TapeAlert Events -----

The device has reported the following TapeAlert diagnostic information. Please contact your device manufacturer for more information regarding TapeAlerts.

Warning - The tape drive is due for a routine cleaning:

1. Wait for the current operation to finish.

2. Then use a cleaning cartridge.

Check the tape drive users manual for device specific cleaning instructions.

Robotic Library: DELL 4 Drive: IBM 2 Slot: 12

Kindly help us...

- vicky

pkh
   VIP    Certified

As the message says, clean your tape drive.

1) Put a cleaning tape in one of the slot

2) In the Storage tab, right-click on the slot with the cleaning tape and change it to a cleaning slot in the slot properties.

3) right-click on the tape library and select clean.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Byte count is good sign here please right click on tape and data should be visible

About tape which is used to do catalog here if has hard write errors which indicates there are some bad blocks on tape would be good if you can duplicate it to disk so that you would have copy of it on disk and then restore

Addittionaaly as pkh rightly said if there are hard read write error on tape drive please clean it using cleaning media

Thanks

vigneshwaran
Level 6

Hi,

That 5 point, I attached screen shot for our current setting. This is correct or we need to change this settings. Please find the attachment and let me know.

- vicky