cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore Catalog From Backup Tape

Jay_Ryan
Level 3
Ok, one of my backup servers running Backup Exec 11d decided it didn't want to work anymore and totally crashed. I have Backup Exec up and running again and had the foresight to actually put the "Catalog" folder as part of my backup jobs. So, I cataloged our last week's set of tapes and have restored the catalog to another location temporarily. How do I get those catalog files to be recognized on Backup Exec.

My first try was to stop all Backup Exec services, move the files into the current working catalog folder and restart the services...but I still don't see my restore options except for what is able to be restored off the set of tapes I cataloged. I'm sure there is something simple I'm missing because I seem to remember I had to do this a couple of years back with version 9.1.
3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
did you recover your setup from the BEDB.BAK file, or just rebuild it from scratch?

If you did not recover, I think the problem is that BackupExec does not know about the tapes the data is on, so does not show any data on them, even though the catalog files are present  Try inventorying one of the old tape and see if it's data appears

Or did you give the new media server a different name?  If so, see http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/288640.htm  Step 13

Jay_Ryan
Level 3
No, I did not recover it from the .bak file.
After I got the server rebuilt (with the same name) I inventoried 1 set of tapes from last week that contained the catalogs folder that I back up every week. I'm trying to import that into Backup Exec if possible.

Did I miss a step in the backup process? Was I suppose to be backing something else up as well in order to restore the catalogs and possibly the scheduled jobs? I was up till about 2am this morning recreating all the jobs.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Except for not importing the config, sound like you did it right

See   http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/288640.htm   for the steps to migrate a v11 server to new hardware (basically what you are doing in this case)

You'll have to restore from that last set of tapes rather than copy from a save location, but everything else should be the same