cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore Error: 0xe00084ed - A Harware Error Occurred

Helen_Eden
Level 3
I have recently purchased and installed BE 10 and am having problems restoring.

The error I get is:

Completed Status: Failed
Final Error: 0xe00084ed - A hardware error occurred.
Final error category: Backup Device Errors
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-34029. (This link does not bring up any information)
Storage device "IBM 1" reported an error on a request to seek to a logical media address.
Error reported: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

The backups are successful. At least I can see and select the files I want to restore. Sometimes the restore works and sometimes not. Mostly not.

The platform is:

IBM x236 Server.
Tape drive is IBM LTO2 200/400 GB Ultrium 2.
Tapes are: TDK Ultrium 2 (New Tapes)

Operating System: MS Windows 2003 Server SP1

Tape Drive Firmware version: 4770

Veritas Backup Exec for Windows version 10.0 Rev 5484
Installed Updates: SP1, Hotfix8, Hotfix 17

Driver: Veritas ver 5.1.1.1 dated 05/01/2005 (halfinch.sys)

Please can you help me.

Regards

Helen Eden
IT Manager
7 REPLIES 7

Helen_Eden
Level 3
Dear Veritas Support

Please can I have a reply from a member of Veritas Support. I cannot use the product without some support otherwise I wil request a refund and use another product.

Helen Eden

Helen_Eden
Level 3
I am still waiting for a reply from Veritas support.

Is BE 9 still available as a download or would I be wasting my time with that as-well ?

Prajuctaa_Mulay
Level 4
Hi Helen,

We apologize for the inconvenience caused because of the delayed response. Please let us know if your issue still persists. If yes, please refer the steps mentioned below. If not, we will mark this case as ‘assumed answered’ and move it to ‘answered questions’ pool.

The "I/O device error" messages are due to hardware related issues. It would be a good idea to perform the steps given in this technote : http://support.veritas.com/docs/191158
You would require to boot the computer in SCSI BIOS to make the changes listed in this technote.

Does this error message also occur during backup? Try backing up to a new tape and verify the results. If the errors occur only during restore, chances are that the catalog on the tape is corrupt. Though a problem with catalogs should result in a relevant error message.

Please let us know if the hardware error also occurs during backup. If this is the case, we need not alter any catalogs in Backup Exec.

Have a nice day!

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Prajuctaa_Mulay
Level 4
For BE 9.0:

You can download it from this link http://support.veritas.com/docs/258718

Helen_Eden
Level 3
Hello

Thanks for the reply.
I will read and try the technote.
I do not get any errors when backing up.
When trying to restore, the file listing is there and is available to select files to restore it is only at the stage of reading the tape does it error.
All 3 tapes I have tried have been new tapes.

Regards
Helen

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Thank you for the update, please revert to us after executing the advised steps.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Evan_Leipold
Not applicable
Hi Helen,

Im having the extact same problem, have you been able to find a solution yet?