cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore Exchange 5.5 data

brian_hazlehurs
Not applicable
I have a complete restored "exchsrvr" directory - on a backup server
but this was saved as a "straight file backup" not as the exchange agent so I can't use the "information Store " recovery -
Therfore Exchange wont start all the services & I cant see the mailboxes --
Any ideas how I can recover these please ?
3 REPLIES 3

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

Have you purchased Exchange agent?

Please refer to the following technote which will give you
information about restoring the exchange information store.
How to perform disaster recovery for a Microsoft Exchange Server 4.0, 5.0 and 5.5.
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/192377.htm

Also you can upgrade free of cost to v9.1:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/264658.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
At this point, if the old server is gone, you are probably SOL

Was Exchange running when the backup was take, or was it shut down?

Prajuctaa_Mulay
Level 4
Hi Brian,

Flat files of the Exchange database are restored as any other file by Backup Exec - mounting of the database will not be possible if Exchange is installed and the files are restored from a flat file backup. An online database backup of Exchange, with the Backup Exec Agent for Exchange is actually done by the Exchange ESE.DLL. i.e. the backup is performed by Exchange itself. Tasks such as restoring the database GUIDs and other entries, transaction log related operations etc that are required before a database can be mounted are performed when an online backup of the database is restored. Backup Exec again triggers the Exchange DLL to perform these tasks and is not designed to carry out these actions.
A flat file backup when restored via Backup Exec, will only restore the files but will not be able to mount the database and get it up and running.

Please get in touch with Microsoft to restore the Exchange database from a flat file backup.
We hope the reply answers your question.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.