cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore Exchange mailboxes

fizzle_nyc
Level 3

I was given a job to restore Exchange SBS 2003 mailboxes from tapes to Exchange 2010. Backup Exec 12d was used to write data to the tapes. I know BE 12d is not compatible with Exchange 2010, and SBS 2003 has been retired from the network.

I wondering what's the best solution to restore couple mailboxes from the tape. Or restore the mailboxes to pst files. I have both store level backups and brick level (mailbox) backups.

Thank you in advance.

Larry

5 REPLIES 5

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi,

This is not supported configuration with backupexec & you cannot do resotre from older version to higher version like from exchange 2003 to exchange 2010. For same you can take help of microsoft to do actual migration that will actual suit your requirment & should work fine.

Please mark this post solved if this help you in your question

Keep posted

Thank You

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It is not a BE limitation that you are unable to restore an Exchange 2003 mailbox to an Exchange 2010 server.  It is Exchange that does not allow this.

fizzle_nyc
Level 3

Thank you for your help, itsmeaffinity and pkh.

I will look other ways to solve the problem.

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

Thanks for your response on same & can you please mark this solved so that we can close the thread

Keep posted

Cheers

Thank You

RRE
Level 6

Hello 

You can try the following Solution. 

Solution 1) you cannot restore mailboxes from Exch 2003 to Exch 2010 as the architecture is completely different. However as you mentioned that SBS 2003 is retired , you can build a recovery server with same OS version , same service pack. Build your exchange server with the same Organization name & same storage group & store. Create the users with same alias name . You can now go to your restore window & select the the mailboxes that you want to restore --- go to resource credentials ----- click test all ---- this will tell you if BE is able to establish connection with the new server. & run the job

OR 

you can restore the entire database to Recovery storage group & then use exmerge to extract the mailboxes

Solution 2) Old exchange server not required. On the media server create a B2D folder & call it as "Exchange restore". On the BE console , click on file ---- new ---- "duplicate backup sets job". Select the Exchange backup sets that you want to duplicate. On the Properties pane, under Destination, click Device and Media.In the Device list box, select a backup-to-disk folder that we created . Run the job. This will duplicate the tape contents to the Disk . After the job is finished , you can go to that location & check the IMG folder & you will find the exchange database files inside it. You can then contact microsoft to extract the contents 

Regards

RRE