cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore Exchange to new installation of Small Business Server

Stefan_Persson_
Level 3
I installed Small Business Server with a different computer name and different name for the Exchange Server. I have a backup of the old Exchange Server and I want to restore the mail to the new server. When I try to restore the Information Store I get an error saying that the file is corrupt. When I choose to restore a certain mailboxes I get access denied. I have managed to restore a few mailboxes. My questions:

Do I have to use the same account name and password that was used on the old server when I try to restore the mailboxes?

What do I have to do to restore the Information Store? I don't think the files on the tape are corrupt.
6 REPLIES 6

Sushil_Sakhawal
Level 3
hi Stefan,

It is not necessary to use the same account name and password which was used on the old server
You can use use any account which has following rights :
1) domain admins
2) local administrator
3) exchange full administrator

Also while restoring exchange following names should be same

1) organisation name
2) administrative group name
3) storage group name

However it is not necessary if you are restoring exchnage onto a different forest.
Please refer following technote on how to restore Exchange to different forest.

"How to restore Exchange 2000 or 2003 to a recovery server in a different forest"
http://support.veritas.com/docs/247985

Also refer following technote about restoring information store to different domain.
"Restoring IS in different domain"
http://support.veritas.com/docs/239613

Thanks

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Stefan_Persson_
Level 3
Thanks for your reply, I managed to restore the individual mailboxes to the ones instead of the whole information store. Now I have another problem, I can't restore the Public Folders. I have tried to restore the Public Folder items redirected to a mailbox and the restore jobs reports it is succesful. When I log in to that mailbox however I can't find anything new. Shouldn't the job report a failure if the files weren't restored? Or are they actually in that mailbox somewhere?

The Small Business Server 2003 was installed with a new name and the Information Store and Public Folder Store also have this new name. As redirecting the public folder items to a maibox doesn't seem to work, can I restore those items in another way? I don't have a backup of the physical files, only of Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes, Microsoft Exchange Public Folders and the Information Store (Mailbox Store and Public Folder Store).

Stefan_Persson_
Level 3
Can someone help me with this issue please?

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
You can't restore an exchange database to a server with a different name- this is a Microsoft limitation and nothing to do with Veritas.

You're doing more of a migration, look into the microsoft tool exmerge.

Stefan_Persson_
Level 3
But if I want to restore individual items from the backup of the Public Folders, can I do that to the new installation of Public Folders?

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi,

Unfortunately a redirected restore of the Public folder is not supported. Please refer to the following document:

The VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.x for Windows Servers Administrator's Guide documentation incorrectly states that Exchange 5.5, Exchange 2000, and Exchange 2003 Public Folder Redirected Restores are possible.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/267397

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.