cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore Issue

tkaiser
Level 2
I am having an issue restoring from a differential backup.  Every night I have backup to disk (B2D) differential backups for my servers (I do a full once a month.)  I then run an Archive job to write these backups to tape.  What I do is restore the differential that I want to restore from, do an inventory on the B2D device and then right click on the BKF and click restore.  It brings up the Restore Job Properties window but the BKF file that I wanted to restore from is not an option to select.  I see other differentials from the same day but not the one I want to restore (e.g. if I am trying to restore B2D000706, all I see are B2D000707 and B2D000709.)

I had been running SP4 but upgraded to SP5 thinking it might have fixed the issue, but to no avail.  If anyone can shed some light on what I might be doing wrong, let me know.
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Have you tried a catalog after the inventory?

In the Future, I'd suggest a "DUPLICATE" type backup of the BKF files rather than a standard Archive/Copy.  By doing this, you can restore directly from the tape, rather than having to jump through hoops like you are doing now.

tkaiser
Level 2
When I try to run a Catalog job on either the B2D file or the B2D device I get the following error:

The job failed with the following error: One or more pieces of media in the media family being cataloged has not been inventoried.

No objects on these media may be cataloged.

Not sure why it says that because I have inventoried both the B2D device as well as the BKF file.  Do I have to restore ALL of the files in order to do this?  I hope not...

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If the backup job created more than one BKF file, then yes, all of those files must be inventoryied and cataloged before you can restore

This can be a real problem if you append all week, since EVERY BKF file created by any append job during the week must be inventoried and cataloged, since they are all part of the same backup set

tkaiser
Level 2
I actually have four different jobs that do my nightly backups.  When I look at the job log it only shows the file B2D000706.  Is there a way to see if it may have created more than one BKF file?  I guess I can restore all of the files and see if it works then, I just didn't want to go through all of that.  =)