cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore Process: Active Directory and Exchange Mail Boxes

Jason_Miles
Not applicable
Hi all -

I currently have an HP Proliant ML350 G4 running Windows SBS2003 Server. I would like to install and configure as a fall-back plan to use a DELL PowerEdge 500 SC server as the Disaster Recovery Server, off-site, in case anything detrimental happed to the HP Server. So the restoration stage would look like presenting the previous night’s backup tape and then restoring as “in-situ” the OS and server network apps.

I have several off-the-shelve applications which will require manual installation (SOHOS, JAVELIN, PANASONIC), as long as I can produce the base data. So that’s OK.

But the hard and most challenging task I am finding is the restoration of both Active Directory and Exchange Mail Boxes to the DELL PowerEdge server. Bearing in mind the two servers have very different hardware, you might can see the dilemma.

After several attempts to restore the Shadow Components, including the Service State and System State, which would hopefully be just Active Directory and then later I can do the Exchange Mailbox restores, the Server now does not boot, and will not allow repair procedures via either F8 or original disk medias. So back to square one. Thankfully I’ve done an ASR disk so I can get the DELL server backup quickly.

The best article I have found thus far is the following. Document ID: 243037 How to perform a local recovery of a Microsoft Windows 2000/2003 Small Business Server . And although I follow the step-by-step process, the server hangs each time. I believe the essential question I have is this: how to separate the SYSVOL of Active Directory from all of the Hardware-Registry settings from the HP Server.

Hope this is clear.
0 REPLIES 0