cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore Question - Overlooking something simple

Adam_Frederick
Level 3
Hi Group

This should be a simple answer but I haven't found it. I am running full backups 5 nights a week using Backup Exec 9.1. When I go to restore the dates I have to choose from are not what one would think they would be. They are scattered and spread out instead of daily like the backups. For example, last week I ran full backups each night but when I go to restore I only have say Monday to choose from. I am using an HP SureStore Tape Loader on a Dell server running Windows 2000 Server SP4. I have 4 sets of 4 tapes that are rotated daily and shipped off site.

If anyone can shed some light on this I would certainly appreciate it! or at least point me in the correct direction for troubleshooting!

Thanks,
Adam
5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
How many media sets are involved? One?

What is/are the OPP for these sets?

I have 4 sets of 4 tapes that are rotated daily and shipped off site. Do you mean that you use four tapes each night?

How long do you want to keep each backup?Message was edited by:
Ken Putnam

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Veritas often overwrites catalogues.

Rather than just "going to restore", insert the tape you want to restore from, do an inventory, then catalogue. Then right click the tape and hit "restore". You may find it has the correct data after all.

Adam_Frederick
Level 3
Ken;

You are correct there is only 1 media set involved. I'm not sure what you mean by the OPP for the sets. I'm going to assume Overwrite Protection and that is set to None. When I do a restore I would only like to see the 4 sets in rotation, so nothing past 4 days. When I do a restore now I have some dates way back in November 2005.

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Adam,

We apologise for the late reply. Could you please Update us on the latest State of the issue?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Sorry for the late response, this thread go buried somehow .

Anyway.

I'd recommend setting the Global Ovewrite to "Partial" and the media set OPP to 3 days. this will prevent Backup Exec from writing to a tapeset for three days after the last file on the tape is closed.