cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore System State

RobISO
Level 2

Good morning,

I am running into an issue with an SBS 2003 box, where I cannot restore the System State. It is SBS 2003, with all of the latest patches with BE 2012 Build 1798.

Notes:

- Single server envronment

- I have been running successful backups to an ISCSI NAS connected as a local Drive. We do not have a SDR.

- Recently the domain has become corrupted on the server. I can boot the server, but it thinks it has a different computer name, we will call that name "Confused".

- The ISCSI services are failing as well, where I cannot connect to the NAS from the server. I can successfully connect and access the backup files on another workstation, and share the files.

- All other data is intact. I only need System State.

Tasks completed:

- Create new storage device, and point it to the share on the workstation \\path\veritas\b2d. Inventory is successful, Catalogs fails with errors that the media is not in the index, even after a successful inventory. The backup sets do populate and I can run a catalog on the individual sets.

- On the Backup\Restore tab "Servers" I have two servers listed, the correct server name, and the "Confused" server name, both of which are the same server.

- If I try to run a System state restore from the "correct" server name, I am prompted for storage to restore From, but I only have the Device that is offline, not the new device. (That is pointing to the new drive share with all of the backup files). If I try from the "Confused" server name, the restore options are blank and I cannot proceed.

- I have added a local admin account to backup exec and started all services with that account. That account also has full access to the share I created and I can access the data from Windows with that login account.

Questions:

- How do I get the "Correct" server in Backup and Restore tab to see the new data store so I can access the backups?

- How can I get "Confused" "Backup and Restore" server to be able to restore (Blank page)?

2 REPLIES 2

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Try the following, however I would strongly recommend to log a support case and work this issue over the phone.

1) Stop the BE services (including the SQL instance) and grab a copy of the Data & Catalog folders.

2) Rename the existing Catalog folder to something like Catalog_Old (This step is being done only for this particular issue as otherwise we don't typically recommend renaming the Catalogs folder as they can cause DLM issues with future backups)

3) Restart all services and new, blank Catalogs folder will be created. Using BEUtility.exe, load a blank DB. KB - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH66780

4) Copy the backup sets to the new location and ensure changer.cfg and folder.cfg aren't copied. Create a new storage device from the BE's UI.

5) Run an inventory & catalog of these backup sets. If they are successful, the server should be populated and then try to restore.

You are facing this issue due to the fact the server has 2 names. System state cannot be redirected to another server and so you would need to run the restore from the old server itself. Ideally, it should allow you to choose the backup sets from the new storage, however the existing DB and Catalogs maybe preventing you from doing so and hence the above steps. The restore wizard is blank for the "new" name as no backups have actually ran with this "new" name as a reference.

RobISO
Level 2

It appears that it may be much more simple than that....I had shared the B2D folder, which was x:\veritas\B2D\

The IMGXXXXXXX folders were on the root of X: and was outside of the Veritas folder. I shared the root, inventoried the drive and was able to run the restore.....testing now.