cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore causing backup failure?

Rudolf_Amarlapu
Level 4
I think I have seen someone mention this somewhere but I cannot find it again.

We monitor our clients' backup regularly on many different servers. I have noticed that on some of them backup runs only partially and gets canceled with error message "error reading file data" after a restore was run.

Some of those servers have Win2000, others have Win2003. I cannot find correlations but it seems like they are all also SQL servers (as far as I've seen so far).

Does anyone know the cause of this? Any fixes? Thanks much.
10 REPLIES 10

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Sounds familiar.
I beleive this is resolved in SP2 (and therefore bundled in SP3).

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please install Service Pack 3 as mentioned and verify the results.
VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 for Windows Servers revision 4691 - Service Pack 3
http://support.veritas.com/docs/278302

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Rudolf_Amarlapu
Level 4
Thank you so much. I will check into that and see what service pack those servers have.

However, I don't think we can implement this on all the servers and report back to you in 2 days. I will try to report on some of them at least.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please update us on this issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Rudolf_Amarlapu
Level 4
According to the link you provided, it seems like this applies to revision numbers 4691, 4691.1, 4691.2.

All of our clients that had recent backup problems have 4691 some with Win2K, some Win2003. However, there is at least one case where they have a very similar setup (with revision #4691) but did not see any problem after a restore. Do you know what else might be involved? Maybe other software or hardware?

Thanks again.

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

It is difficult to isolate the cause of the issue. But this is a known problem since the beginning and hence its fix has been included in Service Pack 3 as well...

Were you able to install Service Pack 3 on any of the servers and was the problem resolved by the service pack?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to the ‘answered questions’ pool.

Rudolf_Amarlapu
Level 4
Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, we have not been able to implement the fix yet. We have many clients and we are in the process of assessing which servers may have this problem so we can address those first.

Do you know approximately how long it takes to install this SP3?

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Installation of patches will depend on the CPU speed, network speed, etc. If there is minimum activity on the server the installation will be faster.

Rudolf_Amarlapu
Level 4
We have just installed the SP3 patch on our own server since it also had the same problem of backup not completing after a restore. The patch was installed and the server was rebooted but when I go to Help - About, I still see version 9.1 rev 4691. Is it supposed to say 4691.3? The installation process went without a hitch. How can I confirm that the patch was successfully installed?

I will test the effectiveness of the patch later and report back.

Rudolf_Amarlapu
Level 4
The patch seems to work on our server. Thank you. Now I have to implement it for our clients.

I have found the answer to the question above. I can go to Veritas update and list all updates and it shows which updates you have.