cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore data from tapes backed up on old server using new implemented server

Ruska
Level 4

Hello all

We went live with our new BE2010 server 2 days ago. The very next day restore calls already started streaming in already. When inserting the tapes backed up using the old server into the new one I found that it relabels the media set on the tape as BackupExec and Windows NT. My understanding was that to restore data after the upgrade one would simply have to recatalog the tapes on the new server which will then allow one to get data off the tapes.

Running catalog jobs keep failing even after performing the recommended inventory job first. After some digging it’s appears  to be due to the fact that the old server was running Server 2003 32bit and the new on is running Server2008 64bit.

My next question is then, how does one get around this predicament. There are blogs of someone having a similar problem only the other way around. In other words trying to read tapes backed up on a 64bit system to read on a 32bit system. He was able to resolve this issue by applying a patch made available by Microsoft. I have not been able to find anything that that would enable me to do the same but visa versa (catalog or read tapes from 32bit system on new 64bit system)

Any ideas at this point would be highly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Stop all the BE services, rename existing catalogs folder. Create a new catalog folder.

Restart all the BE services and then run the catalog job.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

AmolB

The catalogs has nothing to do with 32 bit or 64bit architecture.

Could you please post the error message that you are getting for catalogs job.

Ruska
Level 4

Error on first attempt. The library pool is confirmed available and runs backup jobs fine. Following the support link on th error message states that one should run an inventry job on the tape first. The inventory job completes and the second error is displayed when trying to tun the catalog job. See error two further down.

Error on firtst try...

Job Completion Status
Job ended: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 at 11:50:45 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000810b - Physical Volume Library Drive not found.
Final error category: Backup Device Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33035

Errors
Click an error below to locate it in the job log
V-79-57344-33035 - Error - Mount failed.

Physical Volume Library Drive not found.

V-79-57344-33035 - Unable to acquire device for the specified pool and media

Error Two....

Job Completion Status
Job ended: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 at 12:06:17 PM
Final error: 0xe0000900 - The requested media is not listed in the media index and could not be mounted. To add the media's catalog information to the disk-based catalogs, run an inventory operation on the media and resubmit the Catalog operation.
Final error category: Backup Media Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-2304

AmolB

Have you checked the below article.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH45473

Ruska
Level 4

Thanks for the tech note, I tried what it said but still get the below error unfortunately.

Job Completion Status
Job ended: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 at 2:20:10 PM
Final error: 0xe0000900 - The requested media is not listed in the media index and could not be mounted. To add the media's catalog information to the disk-based catalogs, run an inventory operation on the media and resubmit the Catalog operation.
Final error category: Backup Media Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-2304

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...have you confirmed that your library is showing in Windows Device Manager first? If Windows sees it, BE sees it so with regards to the above error, this is where you start...

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Refer the following TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH71131

Hope this helps...

Regards..

Ruska
Level 4

The library is in perfect workking order as far as backup jobs are concerned.

The install volume has plenty of space left as well.

I can browse catalogs fine which have been created by backup jobs that ran on the new server. Problem is with the catalogs for tapes that ran on the old server.

AmolB

Stop all the BE services, rename existing catalogs folder. Create a new catalog folder.

Restart all the BE services and then run the catalog job.

Ruska
Level 4

Thanks Cool

Doing the above process allows me to run one catalog job at a time. It still fails but allows me to retrieve data after thefail job like the technote says. this does allow me toget the data off old tapes which was the main issue.