cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore from backup-to-disk folder fails

Jimmy_Lung_2
Level 4
All server data is backed up to a backup-to-disk folder first, and then another job will backup the folder files to tape.

We're attempting to restore our Exchange database from the folder. Firstly we did a restore of the folder files from tape, and then inventoried the folder files, and finally tried to restore db from the b-to-d device.

The job never completes. Right after the job runs a lck file is created, then nothing happens.

We attempted to catalog the device but not successful, saying that "Final error 0xa00084fa - One of more pieces of media in the media family being catalogued has not been inventoried. No objects on these media may be catalogued."

Any ideas on what happened and how to correct the issue?
12 REPLIES 12

Steve_TYiybg
Level 4
one of you backup to disk files got overwritten by another job

Jimmy_Lung
Not applicable
Some more background: Size of the backup-to-disk folder is near 50GB and consists of many 1GB bkf files as the max size is configured as 1GB.

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6
How did you configured your B2D device, is it re-used every day ? If this is the case you will not be able to restore data from the previous day because the device might be partially overwritten. Try restoring from tape.

Regards
A van der Boom

Jimmy_Lung_2
Level 4
B2D device is backed up to tape before reused like below:

Step 1) Data written to B2D device (Every weekday)

Step 2) Then B2D device written to tape (Every weekday)

Step 3) Repeat step 1 and 2. B2D device is reused.

I restored the B2D device files from tape, and the files timestamps have the same date. So it is not likely overwritten.

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6
When using B2D you don't have to restore the B2D files themselves. With a B2D copy you can restore files directly from tape to the place the files were. Restoring the B2D files is not necessary.

Regards
A van der Boom

Jimmy_Lung_2
Level 4
The tape with the B2D files have been overwritten, and therefore restoring directly from tape is not option, unless we do a backup of the B2D files again, which sounds silly to me.

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

As you have mentioned even B2Ds are overwritten or reused and tapes too... In this case no data can be restored now and no catalog operation will run,in order to restore data !

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Only if the second job is a DUPLICATE job.

If the B2T job is a standard COPY job, then all it does is backup the BKF files to tape, and they must be restored to disk before the UserData can be restored to disk

Jimmy_Lung_2
Level 4
Let me clarify, all BKF files have been restored to hard disk. Our problem is failure to restore user data from the restored BKF files.

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6
You're right, I meant a duplicate job but wrote down copy. Silly me. I can imaging why someone wanted to copy instead duplicate as this need extra handling to get a backup restored.

Regards
A van der Boom

Jimmy_Lung_2
Level 4
I tried the whole operation again but still fail while cataloguing the B2D device files.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please try clearing the option use storage based media catalogs from tools-options-catalogs and then verify the result.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.