cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore issue

Level 3
When I cancel a restore job it says " canceling job" and sits at the top of the priority list and will not go away. As a result no backups will take place and the only way I can get rid of it is to kill all services and restart the BE services.
I'm sure this is a nuby question but I am am trying to learn the quirks of the product as fast as I can. Can someone tell me how to resolve this with out stopping services?

TIA for any advice.
4 REPLIES 4

Dave_Bunye
Level 6
It all depends on where in the job you decide to cancel it. If there is a byte count, you can cancel very quickly. If the job is loading media, scanning a tape looking for space to append to, etc it can take a long time until that process is complete before the job can cancel. Basically, if data is being written you should be able to cancel quick, otherwise there are a lot of issues which can cause a slow cancel while it waits for some other process to compelete.

Level 3
Thanks for the response. My experience in the past has been the same as you describe with most backup software however in this case the time to cancel is indefinate. Specfically I waited two days. It never quits. So my only option was to stop the services and restart them. I clicked cancel within minutes of starting the restore job. I could not feed it the proper tape and that may be the issue that I must give it the proper tape to quit but that is just a guess.

SANDEEP_PILLAY
Level 6
Hi,

This may happen if there are any active alerts pending to be responded if you have set to eject the media after backup completes. Backup job will not finish the job till the alert is responded. Please refer to the following technote:

- How to configure Backup Exec to automatically respond to media alerts, including when a backup hangs at 99%, until the user responds to a tape eject prompt
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/192055.htm

We hope this will help.

Please update us on the issue so that If the issue still persists we can troubleshoot the issue further.

If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be presumed to be answered and will be marked as assumed answered and archived.

Thanks.

Madhuri_Shenoy
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as "assumed answered" and moving it to "answered questions" pool.