cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore job restore wrong files from wrong server.

PeterGust
Level 4

Hi

I have two Selection lists:

Selection list 1: server A
Selection list 2: Server B

From these Selection lists I create one job each.

Now, when I create a restore job from server A, I see all files on Backup exec. That's OK.
But, in the same restore job even Server State is selected for server B!

But this is wierd:
If I remove Server B, my selection for Server A is removed too.
If I run the restore job as is, no files for Server A is restore. Only Server State stuff for Server B is restored.

Any ideas?

12.5 Rev 2214 SP2

//Peter

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

PeterGust
Level 4

To Kiran Bandi:
I did use View by resource tab and still system state of server B was selected too.

But I finally got it working! I did a rebuild of the Catalog indexes: CatRebuildIndex -r

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH75279

Thanks for responding.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

When you run a backup , the information of the bakup set is written to the catalogs . Catalogs are reponsible for the restore slection list . Every bakup you run ,the catalog infromation for the same would be written to the catalog folder which is generally at c:progam files \Symantec\ backup exec\catalogs folder.

So when you go to restore all the files which have backed up will show up in the restore selection list . And the restore selection is generated by the catlogs , you view the data by resourse or by media ...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Not sure why you would have 2 selection lists for 1 job.

I'd negate this by creating 1 selection list to be used with that backup job...better maintenance, and easier management as a result.

It could be that your selection list is corrupt, and that is why deleting 1 server delets the other!

So...create a new selection list, attach it to your backup job. Run a backup, and then try a restore the way you want to. If it works, it is your selection list that is a problem, and I would suggest using your new setup going forward.

PeterGust
Level 4

This was an example, each selection list has 30 servers. They have different priorities.
It was just to point out that the problem servers is not on the same selection list.

Where is a job for both Selection lists.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

In the restore window, use view by resource tab.

And select Server A. (Here you should not get system state of server B).

Select the files to be restored, and run the job.

When you have many clients as part of a single job, it is better to use View By Resource while restoring files.

PeterGust
Level 4

To Kiran Bandi:
I did use View by resource tab and still system state of server B was selected too.

But I finally got it working! I did a rebuild of the Catalog indexes: CatRebuildIndex -r

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH75279

Thanks for responding.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi PeterGust,

Thanks for the info...

It is very helpful....

Best Regards...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...the original posting was a bit misleading...blush