I´m trying to do an redirect restore on users mailbox and the job stuck in Pre-Processing state.
The exchange version is 2013.
I have restart the windows server and run inventory on the disk storage.
For a mounth ago I did redirect restore and also restore to PST file and that get OK
Have any ideas how to solve this?
can you try restore by specifying the client access server name in the restore to different location section of restore job and see if it goes through.
Hm I´m not sure what do you mean with client access server name.
For infromation the exchange is DAG
In the restore wizard I select "To a different location" on server I type "CUSTOMEREXDAG01" on next page
I select "To mailboxes" I type the mailbox name
From one of the Exchange DAG node, open Exchange management Shell and type "Get-ClientAccessServer" and in the BE redirected restore window, use the server name shown instead of using DAG name
The customer have tree mail server in the Exchange DAG node and I have try to restore to all tree servers (try tree times) and the job is still stuck in Pre-Processing state any suggeistions.