Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore mailbox(es) to alternate exchange server

ie
Level 3

Hello,

Using Backup Exec 2010 and Exchange 2003

I'm testing a DR plan, so the scenario is: one exchange 2003 server with all the mailboxes (server name is exchange-2) and a secondary non-clustered exchange server with no mailboxes (server name is exchange-3).

So to simulate the deletion of a mailbox from exchange-2 and restore the same mailbox from tape to exchange-3. I've got full backups of exchange-2, i'm not sure if i can restore a mailbox to another server. The secondary exchange is part of the same domain, administrative group... etc

What i've attempted is to select "Restore to server or database availability group" from the exchange redirection option, but that fails saying that "the database that the mailboxes reside in is dismounted or not accesible" I thought this was strange since the mailbox currently just resides on tape

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ie
Level 3

So what i'm trying to do is not possible.

It's not possible restore a mailbox to a secondary exchange server, unless i also redirect it to an existing mailbox that resides on that second exchange server.

Or you restore to an exchange server on a different Active Directory domain, and enable the option to automatically recreate user and mailbox.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

You can restore to another Exchange server, no hassles.

Read up on the TN below which details your error and how to get around it:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH68938

Thanks!

ie
Level 3

thanks for the quick response.

This is the first time i'm trying this type of restore. So i apologize for the questions

So i checked the link you provided and i do not have "hide from exchange address lists" checked.

Perhaps i'm doing the redirection incorrectly... I have entered checked "Redirect Exchange Sets" under the Microsoft Exchange Redirection, and entered exchnge-3 into the "restore to server or database availability group"

I've tried three different tests:

1.) with both exchange servers on, i deleted the mailbox of a test user which was on exchange-2. Then using the above redirection config i tried to restore to exchange-3. That failed with: "cannot restore one or more mailboxes, the database that the mailboxes reside in is not accessible or dismounted"

2.) with both exchange servers on, I attempted to restore a mailbox of a test user using the above redirection config to restore to exchange-3. That failed with: "cannot restore one or more mailboxes, the database that the mailboxes reside in is not accessible or dismounted"

3.) with exchange-2 powered off, I attempted to restore a mailbox of a test user using the above redirection config to restore to exchange-3. That failed with: "unable to attach to resource, make sure that all selected resources are online and try again"

With regard to the last test, it has exchange-2 and it's first storage group listed as the resource. Since the server was powered off it wouldn't have been able to get to the resource. I'm not sure why it has that server lsited as a resource if i'm redirecting to exchange-3

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Per you last line, looks like you are restoring from tape...best to duplicate these backups sets from tape to disk & then attempt the restore...

Here is a KB outlining the process - http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH139027

Lastly, when you are restoring to a different mailbox, ensure the target mailbox is active (must have sent/received emails), not hidden (not hidden from GAL), & unique (unique is determined by first 5 letters)

CraigV

...you didn't perhaps backup the Information Store using AOFO did you?

If so, try duplicating to disk first and then restore from there...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

ie
Level 3

Hello,

I have now duplicated the backup so that it is on disk, that was smart and much faster to attempt these restores. But i still receive the same problem.

Also for clarification, i'm not restoring to another mailbox. I'm restoring a mailbox that resides on one exchange server to another exchange server. This is to test if i can restore my mailboxes to my second exchange server if my primary exchange server dies. So if the mailbox is called "testmailbox" currently residing on exchange-2 i'm restoring it to exchange-3 (this should work with exchange-2 being offline)

ie
Level 3

I am not using the file open option, i have now duplicated the backup so that it is on disk.

But i noticed that the resource still says exchange-2, and i'm still encountering the same problems

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

There please ensure that when you are redirecting it to mailbox on new server created by you it is active , you can activate the mailbox by sending and receving email please check link below

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH128637

Also ensure you have new exchange configured in same organization & all rights are in place for the account by which you are doing restore, you can check the link below ,

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH128637

Thanks

ie
Level 3

I'm not redirecting to a mailbox, i'm redirecting to another server.

Just for clarity sake, this is what i'm trying to do:

We have two exchange servers (exchange-2 and 3)

All the mailboxes reside on exchange-2.

Exchange-3 is a secondary exchange server (same domain, same organization...etc)

Exchange-3 is in place for redundancy.

So lets say disaster strikes, and exchange-2 is struck by a meteorite. The rest of the infrastructure is OK. What i'd like to do is restore the mailboxes that were on exchange-2 and put them onto exchange-3. I cannot restore the whole information store because: exchange-3 has a different name and IP address, and hasn't been installed in disaster recovery mode. So i need to restore the mailboxes themselves to exchange-3

So the end result would be all the mailboxes that used to be on exchange-2 now reside on exchange-3. I'm having problems redirecting the restore to a different server.

CraigV

...does the BESA account have delegated rights to your target Exchange server?

ie
Level 3

Hi,

So the credentials that backup exec has is the system logon account, which in this case the a domain admin account. Both servers are part of the same domain so it should have access to the target server. Is that what you meant by delegated rights?

Also, it always has exchange-2 and exchange-2's first storage group listed as the resource, i would have expected this to change to exchange-3 if i enable redirect to exchange-3... is my thought correct?

CraigV

...that's perfect on the BESA account, but in Exchange on the server you want to redirect your backups too, just make sure that the BESA account has been delegated rights to that Exchange server.

Your thoughts on the redirection are also correct...

ie
Level 3

So what i'm trying to do is not possible.

It's not possible restore a mailbox to a secondary exchange server, unless i also redirect it to an existing mailbox that resides on that second exchange server.

Or you restore to an exchange server on a different Active Directory domain, and enable the option to automatically recreate user and mailbox.

CraigV

...so why not do the following:

1. Create a test mailbox on the second server, dedicated ONLY for mailbox restores.

2. Use this to do redirected restores, and then pull that information out of the mailbox (via *.pst).

Thanks!