cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore to new server, but only have .bkf files

jdaniels
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Customer's server crashed. All we have are the .bkf files, as the Symantec Backup Exec 12 install was on the server that crashed. Have a new server with Backup Exec 2010. How can I import the .bkf files into Backup exec so we can recover data? Thanks in advance for assistance!!

6 REPLIES 6

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

As long as your 2010 server has not run any disk based backups then

1) Create a B2D device on this server

2) Copy the bkf files into the folder for the b2d device

3) Inventory the b2d device

4) Catalog the media inside the b2d device

This should generate your restore selections.

jdaniels
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Thanks Colin, I will load a new machine and give that a shot. I was trying on an existing, in use, install.

jdaniels
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Well, I installed Backup Exec on a server, created a B2D folder on the desktop, copied the bkf file into folder, inventoried, and it still does not show up in the device window. Am I missing something? 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You still have to catalog the media and they show up in the Media tab, not the Device tab.

jdaniels
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Actually, they are not showing up at all, in either the device, or the media tab....

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Just for info the reason for not using a system that has already run Backup to disk jobs is purely that the same BKF file names you intend to copy might have already been used on the server if b2d jobs have been running previously and this conflcit of file names will cause problems.

For your ongoing problem after the inventory finishes,  what appears  in the All Media section of the Media tab?

Also did your Inventory job report any errors?