cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore

Level 2
I ran a test restore, of an windows 2003 server, the server is partitioned with a succesfully and d drive. They both restored successfully but on the d: partition,neither security or the shared names of folders shows, even though the folders did restore. Were did i go wrong i followed the outline from
doc. id 236240. I doubled check my work and made sure that the preserve tree and restore security was checked.
I thinking that maybe the drive had to have it original security/permission set before it was restored. But i am not sure.

thanks for any assistance.
2 REPLIES 2

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
In answers to your questions..

- Share information is held in the registry - specifically in HKLM\System\Current Control Set\Services\lanmanserver\shares.
So if you don't restore the System State, you will not get the share information back.

- for the security of the files - in the restore job on the General tab - make sure restore security is checked.
If the security was Domain security, this information will be lost if the data is restore to a server that is in a workgroup, or a server that is in a different domain.

Level 2
sorry my mistake, this time i created the d: partition and ran a full restore again, everything restored with file shares and security information. previously i created the primary partition restored it, then created the d: partition restored to that. this is were i went astray.

thanks for your assistance