cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring Exchange Mailboxes

richlux
Level 4
According to the documentation, to restore Exchange mailboxes from an Information Store backup, the backup-to-disk folder must reside on a local NTFS volume.  Doesn't this defeat the purpose of a backup?  Having the backup on a LOCAL volume is not sufficient.  We have terabytes of external network drives we use do store our backups, but they cannot be used to backup the Information Store and allow restores of individual mailboxes.  I don't want to have to use the legacy option of backing up all the mailboxes individually AND backing up the Information Store too.  Is there any other way to do this?

Thanks,
Richard

2 REPLIES 2

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Richard,

You can turn off the granular restore technology and just backup the information store to the remote drives.  Also, the local NTFS volumes should be local to the Backup Exec server, not the Exchange server (as long as they are different servers).  The only other way would be to run the backups straight to tape to use the Granular Restore option.

richlux
Level 4
Thanks for the info.  I know I can turn it off, but then I can't restore an individual mailbox or message.  For now I'll just keep backing up the mailboxes the old way.  Also, maybe I misread, but I thought granular restore wasn't supported on tapes.

Thanks,
Richard