cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CatDump Utility

Lance_Cottrell
Level 3
I'm trying to use the catdump utility in a script to dump the catalog files to text files. However, there doesn't seem to be any switch or other way to bypass the prompt you get at the end for "Would you like to print the file history for this file? (Y/N)". Does anyone know a way to provide that answer in the command or any other way to script this? Thanks.
20 REPLIES 20

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Use the "pipe" command

From Wiindows 2000 Help

If you want the filter command to get its input from another command, use the pipe (|).

So your command line would look something like this

Catdump xxxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxx | N

Lance_Cottrell
Level 3
That doesn't work. Tells me that 'N' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. My command was done just as you suggested.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
It's been a while since I did any DOS scripting, let me think about it for a bit

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Could you please Update us on the issue?

Thank You,

Shweta

Lance_Cottrell
Level 3
Any idea on this? I would think that whoever wrote the utility could add a switch option to provide this input through the initial command. It just doesn't make sense to have no way to bypass this.

Lance_Cottrell
Level 3
Checking back to see if there is any updates yet on this...

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi Lance,

Not sure if you have already referred this:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/277184

Lance_Cottrell
Level 3
Yes, that is where I downloaded the utility from. But the example shown does not work because it is waiting for you to enter Y or N in response to a question to print more information. That is the issue....there isn't any way to provide that response in the command so that it will run through without any manual intervention. Thus, there is no way to dump the results to a text file or script the command to run against multiple files.

Lance_Cottrell
Level 3
Yes, that is where I downloaded the utility from. But the example shown does not work because it is waiting for you to enter Y or N in response to a question to print more information. That is the issue....there isn't any way to provide that response in the command so that it will run through without any manual intervention. Thus, there is no way to dump the results to a text file or script the command to run against multiple files.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello Lance,

Please refer the following steps:

1. Copy the CatDumps.exe file at C:\Program Files\Veritas\Backup Exec\NT

2. Run the following command at command promt:

C:\Program Files\Veritas\Backup Exec\NT\Catdump catalogs\{A018199C-8617-11D1-ABBE-0000-F832B476}.IMG VALIDATEONLY=0 > C:\Catalog.txt

It will go in not responding state, then press 'Y' key and check the result

Regards,

Lance_Cottrell
Level 3
Yes, I know that works....that is the problem. I am asking how I can get around having to press "Y" or "N" when it goes into not responding. I want to be able to run the command and it finish on it's own without having to have input. You cannot script something that waits for manual intervention.

Lance_Cottrell
Level 3
Have you come up with anything? I'm still waiting on some way to do this. Is there no way that whoever wrote this util can add a switch to be able to provide the Y or N response through during the initial command? That would be the best solution.

Lance_Cottrell
Level 3
Still needing a solution to this...

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Sorry for the delay

I know that the docs say that Wait=N is default, but have you tried specifying it?

(It had been so long since I played with it that I had to check the parameters to refresh my memory)

I've tried it on a couple of v9.1 machines and one v10 machine (redirected output to a txt file) and have no problems.

You might try downloading a fresh copy of CATDUMP

http://support.veritas.com/docs/277184 for 5520
http://support.veritas.com/docs/275545 for 5484

Lance_Cottrell
Level 3
No go. I downloaded the 5520 version again and tried. This is on a 10.d server. I specified WAIT=N and got the same results. It hangs until I press Y or N on the keyboard and then will finish. Are you saying you enter the command "catdump catalogs\.img WAIT=N > c:\catalog.txt" and it just completes without any other intervention on your part? I entered this command and it does not...all I get is the hang until I answer the question with a Y or N.

Lance_Cottrell
Level 3
Ken or anyone else...

Is there anything else I can do? Doesn't someone with Symantec check this forum? I still need to get an answer to this. Doing it one by one just isn't going to work. I need to script and schedule this process, and am unable to do that with the current utility.

Ron_Reashore
Not applicable
I am having this exact same issue. And after a quick search of this site, I see that there are several other threads concerning this same problem.

Unfortunately, there don't appear to be any solutions posted, just various well intentioned replies that merely repeat the original instructions (which don't work).

I've tried using different variations & combinations of the switches, including attempting to pipe & funnel both the input and output to/from text files. All to no avail.

Does anyone have an actual solution?

Are there any Symantec employees (ideally above Tier 1 Support) who can provide a solution (and not just copy & post instructions that don't work)?

boomer
Level 3
Anybody have a resolution on this? I have a batch file with over 12,000 lines in it and I'm not going to sit here and press the 'Y' key all day long. Is the '11d' version of "catdump.exe" any better? I saw there were several links to download it in this forum but they have since been closed out.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Hey guys,

I'm checking into this.  As soon as I have something I'll let you guys know.

Thanks,