cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring Full backup to New Server

quadc0re
Level 3

Hi ive been scouring these forums for a while looking for an answer to no avail. This is my scenario: Full backups are made nightly, copied to a USB hard drive during the day and taken offsite. Lets say our server burns down over night and all we have is a spare PC with the same hardware a copy of symatec backup exec 10d which was used on the original server and the FULL backup we took off site.

I would like to know if there is any way to sucessfully restore a FULL backup taken offsite via USB Hard drive onto the new server which will be named and partitioned the same as the original server. Ive tried setting the media and restoring from there after performing an inventory and catalogue but still no success.

If so what are the steps?

Thank you very much in advance!

- Bill

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

quadc0re
Level 3

Well looks like ive got it all sorted... FINALLYYYYYYYYYY!!!

Im not exactly sure what solved it but ive got an idea... The things I did differently this time around was create the partitions during the windows setup and formatted them once windows was installed and Selected System state of Shadow Copy components as part of the restore selections (the administrators guide said System state or Shadow Copy components, which was probably the issue causing me grief all this time) and thats it!

DONE!

On a different note; I wasnt really happy with the lack of support from symantec claiming these forums are monitored. seems like Ken is the only helper here, everyone else is just an unofficial assistant.

But thanks anyway!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

quadc0re
Level 3

Thanks for your quick reply ken, I followed the guide step-by-step and encountered a few problems on the way. The initial restore failed at 99% below is the job completion status report.

I continued hoping things would work out but after I had completed all steps services were not starting properly and folder sharing permissions were not set.

----------

Job Completion Status
Job ended: Wednesday, 2 July 2008 at 11:45:37 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fed6 - A failure occurred performing pre-restore operation.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65238

Errors
Click an error below to locate it in the job log
Restore- \\MODNSWSVR\Shadow?Copy?Components \\MODNSWSVR\Shadow?Copy?ComponentsV-79-57344-65238 - A failure occurred performing pre-restore operation.
V-79-57344-65217 - A failure occurred performing the post-restore operation.
V-79-57344-65217 - An error occurred while completing the operation on \\MODNSWSVR\Shadow?Copy?Components
A failure occurred performing the post-restore operation.

Exceptions
Click an exception below to locate it in the job log
Restore- \\MODNSWSVR\C$ WARNING: The in-use file Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MSIMGSIZ.DAT was restored.
WARNING: The in-use file Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sophos\Remote Management System\3\Agent\Logs\Agent-20080701-085940.log was restored.
WARNING: The in-use file Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sophos\Remote Management System\3\CertificationManager\Logs\CertManager-20080701-085944.log was restored.
WARNING: The in-use file Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sophos\Remote Management System\3\EMLib\Logs\EMLib-20080701-085945.log was restored.
WARNING: The in-use file Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sophos\Remote Management System\3\Router\Logs\Router-20080701-085946.log was restored.
WARNING: The in-use file Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sophos\Sophos Anti-Virus\logs\SAV.txt was restored.
WARNING: The in-use file Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sophos\Sophos Endpoint Management\3.0\log\MgntSvc-20080701-085946.log was restored.
WARNING: The in-use file Documents and Settings\Default User\Cookies\index.dat was restored.
WARNING: The in-use file Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat was restored.
WARNING: The in-use file Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat was restored.
WARNING: The in-use file Program Files\Exchsrvr\bin\store.fcl was restored.
WARNING: The in-use file Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$BKUPEXEC\LOG\ERRORLOG was restored.
WARNING: The in-use file Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$MSFW\LOG\ERRORLOG was restored.
WARNING: The in-use file Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$SHAREPOINT\LOG\ERRORLOG was restored.
WARNING: The in-use file Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$SOPHOS\LOG\ERRORLOG was restored.
WARNING: The in-use file Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\LOG\ERRORLOG was restored.
WARNING: The in-use file Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\LOG\log_12.trc was restored.
WARNING: The in-use file Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\LOG\SQLAGENT.OUT was restored.
WARNING: The in-use file Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Catalogs\{2D851605-0CBF-4D12-8912-CFCEDFEDDDD3}_3.img was restored.
WARNING: The in-use file Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Data\BEX_MODNSWSVR_00106.xml was restored.
WARNING: The in-use file Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Data\msgq0000000000.dat was restored.
WARNING: The in-use file Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Logs\adamm.log was restored.
WARNING: The in-use file WINDOWS\WindowsUpdate.log was restored.
WARNING: The in-use file WINDOWS\system32\h323log.txt was restored.
WARNING: The in-use file WINDOWS\system32\hmdebug.log was restored.
WARNING: The in-use file WINDOWS\system32\dhcp\DhcpSrvLog-Wed.log was restored.
WARNING: The in-use file WINDOWS\system32\ias\ias.ldb was restored.
WARNING: The in-use file WINDOWS\system32\ias\ias.mdb was restored.

-----------

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I will try again while I wait for your response.

Thanks again.

quadc0re
Level 3
After looking through the knowldge base I found that both sp and hotfix levels not being the same was the issue in the failure hence the error codes, I will keep at it and hopefully find a solution! Im just hoping its exclusive of security updates and general updates.

quadc0re
Level 3

BUMP!

Im still having issues sucessfully restoring a full backup, I have partitioned the HDD and appied SP2 for windows server 2003 that being the only service pack or hotfix in the list of updates from the add/remove programs tool.

The restore gets to 99% then fails with 'A failure occurred performing pre-restore operation' error.' the shared folders and permissions restore fine as well as all the folder structure from what i can see but when booting up it alerts me that one or more service or driver failed at startup.

If anyone has any idea please post!

Thanks

quadc0re
Level 3

Below is a screen shot of updates service packs and hotfixes we have installed on our server, no updates have been made since the backup, all i install is SP2 and i still get this error message

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/301764.htm 

"Solution:

Before restoring the data ensure that the Operating System (including the Service Pack level and Hotfix ) on the destination server is same as that on the Source server."

Can someone tell me what i am missing!!!!

http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/1080/updatesws9.png

Thanks!

Iain_MacMillan
Not applicable
i had some issues with a full system restore, make sure you replicate all your drives shares, before restoring, but you don't need to worry about patches/SP's just rebuild system with basic OS, push the Remote Agent share out to the box (do not add it to domain or anything), then select your restore options/files and off it should go and completely restore your server.

quadc0re
Level 3

Going off the Administrators Guide.. 

It seems the only way i can get the restore to finish at 100% is to EXCLUDE the shadow copy and system state out of the restore job. Im following the Administrators guide 100% step by step.

Please help im getting really desperate.

quadc0re
Level 3

Well looks like ive got it all sorted... FINALLYYYYYYYYYY!!!

Im not exactly sure what solved it but ive got an idea... The things I did differently this time around was create the partitions during the windows setup and formatted them once windows was installed and Selected System state of Shadow Copy components as part of the restore selections (the administrators guide said System state or Shadow Copy components, which was probably the issue causing me grief all this time) and thats it!

DONE!

On a different note; I wasnt really happy with the lack of support from symantec claiming these forums are monitored. seems like Ken is the only helper here, everyone else is just an unofficial assistant.

But thanks anyway!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

I'm completely unofficial, beleive it or not  Smiley Tongue

The forums have not been monitored "Officially" for almost 4 years now.  Veritas used to have Techs come by when their othre duties permitted, and Symantec seem to have one guy part time in v12/install only

That, along with the fact that EMail support is also gone, along with 60 days install support, leave most people unfamiliar with BackupExec SOL unless they are willing to ante up for an Incident Smiley MadSmiley Sad

quadc0re
Level 3

:o Well you do a great job none the less! Keep it up :D

Ken for Backup exec Senior Support Manager :p lol see you around.