cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring Individual MSExchange Items Errors with Path Not On Local NTFS Volume

Ben_Blackmore1
Level 4

Hi,

I'm trying to restore a users calendar items, after they deleted them all accidently. When I perform the restore (BE v12.5 & Exchange 2007). I receive the error:

"Final error: 0xe0001204 - The path on the media server for staging temporary restore data when restoring individual items must be on a local NTFS volume on the media server. Check the job log for details.
Final error category: Resource Errors"

Having read http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH59631 I need to check the VirtFile.sys is installed and loaded, and if not, reinstalling the MSExchange Agent on the media server should resolve the issue. However, having run MSINFO32, VirtFile.sys is installed, and is running (see attached image)!

What else can I do to resolve this issue? Should I try reinstalling the MSExchange Agent on the media server anyway?

Any help much appreciated

Ben

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ben_Blackmore1
Level 4

Hi Craig,

Finally got this sorted, the BackupExec service account we were using to restore didn't have a mailbox associated with it! FOund the following article explaining the issue:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH17737&actp=search&viewlocale=en_U...

As soon as I used another service account, which had a mailbox assigned, the restore was successful!

Thanks for your help

Ben

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

pkh
   VIP    Certified

There is no harm in re-installing the Exchange agent.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...also doesn't hurt patching your media server, and pushing those patches out to any remote servers.

You can check: Tools --> Options --> Exchange to make sure you've got a temporary location with enough space for BE to stage the Information Store. By default it is: C:\Temp...

Ben_Blackmore1
Level 4

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I checked the staging location, and although it was set to C:\Temp for the Exchange, it was set to E:\Temp for restores, and E:\Temp doesn't exist, this must have been an historical drive that's since been removed. I have changed this back to C:\Temp, and the restore appears to be running successfully now - although I'm only restoring 1 users calendar items, and it's currently at 26GB restored to the staging area. Is this correct? I'm guessing it has to restore the entire mailbox store before it can grab the required calendar items!?

There are some updates that need to be applied (BE SP4), which I'll perform after the restore has completed.

Many thanks

Ben

Ben_Blackmore1
Level 4
Hmm, well the restore failed, says it can not connect to the resource! The staging area on the media server c:\temp exists, and has enough space (300gb), the staging area on the exchange server, also c:\temp exists and has enough space (36gb). The restore of the entire data store is about 34gb, both staging areas have enough free! I can see the restore created on the media servers staging area, with a directory called img00001 which appears to contain exchange logs and data files. The mailbox store is mounted and healthy, and I've set the restore to dismount the database before restoring the items, then re-mount after the restore is completed. Anyone have any idea what the problem is? Many thanks Ben

CraigV

...even if you restore a single 2K email, BE will stage the ENTIRE Information Store to the temporary location. This is how it restores when baking up using GRT during your backups.

Have you tried duplicating that IS to disk first and then restoring from disk? I did it this way using BE 11d and BE 12.5, and still continue using it with BE 2010 R2 (through force of habit).

If you don't know how too, read below...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

It also doesn't hurt to ensure your media server is fully patched =)

Ben_Blackmore1
Level 4

Hi Craig,

I tried performing the steps in the link you provided, I got the duplicated media set on the local NTFS volume, but when I then try to do a restore from this media set, the job runs for 6 seconds, then fails with the same error as doing the restore direct from tape > exchange, error below:

Job ended: Monday, April 18, 2011 at 12:29:04 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000848c - Unable to attach to a resource.  Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again.  If the server or resource no longer exists, remove it from the selection list. Edit the selection list properties, click the View Selection Details tab, and then remove the resource.
Final error category: Resource Errors

Exchange is up and running, the mailbox store is mounted, etc. I'm not sure which resource this can't attach to!

Ben

CraigV

...is your RAWS agent running on that server, and is it publishing to the correct media server?

Ben_Blackmore1
Level 4

Craig,

Depends how/where it restores to! We have an Exchange 2007 cluster, the cluster is called CLUMX01, this is made up of SRVMX01, SRVMX02, SRVMX03, SRVMX04. SRVMX01 & SRVMX02 are active/passive transport servers, SRVMX03 & SRVMX04 are active/passive client access/mailbox servers.

The RAWS agent is running on SRVMX01 & SRVMX02 but not SRVMX03 or SRVMX04. Should it be? This was all configured before my time here, and I don't think anyone has ever had to perform a granular restore before!

Thanks

Ben

CraigV

Ideally so, but at a minimum RAWS should be installed on the 2 database servers, which is where you'd be restoring too.

Ben_Blackmore1
Level 4

Hi Craig,

Finally got this sorted, the BackupExec service account we were using to restore didn't have a mailbox associated with it! FOund the following article explaining the issue:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH17737&actp=search&viewlocale=en_U...

As soon as I used another service account, which had a mailbox assigned, the restore was successful!

Thanks for your help

Ben