cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring SQL using Logs Backup

dotty
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Our Hyper-V, hosting a SQL DB took a dive yesterday :(  We were able to restore the Hyper-V machine itself using BE, but we were only able to restore it to the 6th.  However, we have logs backup of SQL up until the 8th.  

When I tried to restore the logs using BE, I get an error message saying "The log or differential backup cannot be restored because no files are ready to roll forward"  Is this because the Hyper-V was restored to the 6th, with the SQL DB being operational?  

Basically, my questions is can I restore SQL using the logs backup without restoring the entire DB first? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Yes you will have to do a full restore of SQL and then the logs

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

AmolB

Refer to http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH71884

dotty
Level 3
Partner Accredited

So I would HAVE to do a full restore of SQL if I wanted to restore the logs?  No other way around that? :(

AmolB

Yes you will have to do a full restore of SQL and then the logs

dotty
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Another questions - Since the Hyper-V was restored to 2/6, when I go to restore the DB/Logs, it doesn't show the snapshots from 2/7 and 2/8. 

I have a backup of the BEDB that contains the 2/7 and 2/8 snapshots but when I restore it into the Hyper-V, although the job and job histories are restored, I'm still unable to select the 2/7 or 2/8 restore point to restore to.