cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring SharePoint MDF To A Different Location

Ben_Blackmore1
Level 4

Hi,

I need to restore a SharePoint WSS_Content.mdf database file, so that a single piece of content can be extracted from it. However, I don't want to overwrite the existing file, so need to redirect the restore. Can I do this by simply redirecting the file to another directory, or do I also need to redirect to another SQL instance, as it was backed up using the SQL agent. Want I really don't want to do is accidently restore this over the existing version, as a lot of project work as been entered into it recently.

Any help or advice much appreciated.

Many thanks

Ben

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

In your restore settings under SQL, you've got the option to redirect to another SQL server. You can do this as long as you haven't used AOFO during your backup with SQL, as this makes things a bit more difficult. If you used AOFO you won't be able to do a redirected restore, and will therefore have to restore to a DB on your original SQL server!

Thanks!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

In your restore settings under SQL, you've got the option to redirect to another SQL server. You can do this as long as you haven't used AOFO during your backup with SQL, as this makes things a bit more difficult. If you used AOFO you won't be able to do a redirected restore, and will therefore have to restore to a DB on your original SQL server!

Thanks!