Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring VM from differential backup

Rahul_K1
Level 2

Hi,

I have BE 2010 R3 SP2 HF 176937,,,,ESXI 4.2

1.If the GRT is enabled in both Full & diff and if we try to restore from diff backup sets,it seems to be restore the data but at the end of the job...it fails with following error and VM(win 2008 R2) gets deleted from destination ...

Final error: 0xe0009578 - Unable to copy the virtual machine disk using the VMware VixDiskLib.
Final error category: Resource Errors

Restore- VMVCB::\\VMNLUTR01-VC1\VCGuestVm\CIM infra\vm\Techinal Restore Check\NLSQL02-TRT-DIFF-AUG_2012 VMVCB::\\VMNLUTR01-VC1\VCGuestVm\CIM infra\vm\Techinal Restore Check\NLSQL02-TRT-DIFF-AUG_2012
Error writing file data.

2.Earlier restore of a VM(win 2008 r2) with GRT enabled worked fine..but it failed to boot stating that Operating system not found...

3.With win 2003 with GRT enabled_worked once but failed with above error in second attempt(Final error: 0xe0009578 - Unable to copy the virtual machine disk using the VMware VixDiskLib.
Final error category: Resource Errors

can someone please help?

2 REPLIES 2

samueljn
Level 5
Employee Accredited

Is the restore attempted through SAN transport mode? (Restoring through SAN had some issues and it has been disabled through a hotfix). So check if the restore was tried through SAN. If so, try the restore through NBD.

Try a redirected restore to another host (Provide new name) and check.

Rahul_K1
Level 2

We already have an HF in place which means SAN transport mode is not available for restore...i am trying to restore with GRT disabled..lets see how it goes...if this works then as per http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH187706
 this could be a bug eventhough we are doing restore here....

I will try to restire to anothet ESX HOST and check the result.