cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring from Exchange 2010 Dumpster

Grand
Level 4

I need to restore items from the Exchange dumpster (where email goes when a user empties their deleted items folder, or deletes an email from it), and I was wondering if I have the correct location.

I'm using GRT, and I've browsed to the users mailbox, then to Recoverable Items, Deletions. Is this the dumpester?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

With Exchange 2010, MS changed the terminology of "dumpster" to "recoverable items" folder ...the "deletions" sub-folder includes items which have been deleted from "Deleted Items" folder

So yes, that is the dumpster :)

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

The one you are looking for is GRT backup of exchange information store due to which in restore you are able to see individual item & GRT restore will are most helpful when you loose some items of your exchange like single mailbox or sigle email . So transport dumpster is different. You need to restore the particluar mailbox you have lost from the GRT backup so that you have the mailbox up to date again

Thanks

Grand
Level 4
I appreciate the answer, but I'm not sure what you are saying. My questions was: Is the section of the mailbox, when viewed from the restore job window for a GRT backup Mailbox - Recoverable Items -- Deletions the location for emails in the dumpster? If that is the location, then shouldn't I be able to restore those emails to the dumpster in the production mailbox, and then perform a deleted items recovery? I'm not referring to the transport dumpster. This is for items deleted from the Deleted Items which then get placed in the dumpster for x days.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...as long as the items are in the Deleted Items of the mailbox, then they can be restored. I suspect the length of time that you set to retain deleted items inside of Exchange will play a role in how long they are available in the Deleted Items folder in the mailbox, hence allowing you to restore them from a specific time/date.

Grand
Level 4
Thanks, but I'm not referring to the Deleted Items, I'm asking about the dumpster. I don't now if I'm not being specific enough in what I'm asking, but I don't know how to describe it any other way. ######################## Create new restore job Browse down to the information store, then to: -Mailbox --- Recoverable Items ------- Deletions Is this the location of the items in the dumpster? ######################## If the above is not clear, please explain why. Thank you

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...I guess it's clear enough why now...

The easiest thing to do is check in that location. Unless it is a hidden Exchange folder, there is no reason why BE cannot restore data from it, provided you have the agent, which you do.

Grand
Level 4
Thanks. I know I can restore from it as I see the emails inside of it. That is not my concern. I need to know if what I'm looking at is the dumpster folder or something else entirely. There is nothing in an Exchange mailbox named "Recoverable Items" or "Deletions" so I need to know if this folder being displayed as "Deletions" is actually the "dumpster" folder, in Exchange terminology, i.e. the place where email is sent for 30 days or so after a user empties their Deleted Items folder.

VJware
Level 6

With Exchange 2010, MS changed the terminology of "dumpster" to "recoverable items" folder ...the "deletions" sub-folder includes items which have been deleted from "Deleted Items" folder

So yes, that is the dumpster :)

Grand
Level 4
Perfect, that's what I was hoping to hear. Thank you VJ.