cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring from Tape made on old server

Cary_Hostrawser
Level 3

I upgraded my BE to 2010 at the same time I installed a new server. The new server is 2008R2 the old was 2003. I have a need to restore from one of the taped backed up on the old server. I can catalog the tape, but when I attempt to restore from it, BE pops up a message about needing the remote agent. I can bypass that. I'm not doing anything remote, its all local, just on the new server. I can't select a redirected restore location, but could manually add the location. I thought I'd managed to bypass errors, but every attempt to restore fails with "failed to log on to Microsoft Windows". I've ran the Resource Credentials check, and it passes just fine. 

So how do I manage to access the tapes from the retired server? 

3 REPLIES 3

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Is the name of the new server same as the old server??

Also under which account are all the Backup Exec services running??

And What is the data that you are restoring?? If you are restoring any system specific files then they may be not be restored as the older was Win 2003 and new one is Win 2008.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

To be honest this sounds more like your services accounts and or specified account for restore in the restore job idoes not have the required permissions for whatever it is you are trying to restore. The fact that you could inventory and catalog the tapes, does not (with the current information in your post) point at any problem relating to the media itself.

However as we don't know what you are truying to restore it is kinfd of difficult to comment further.

What I would suggest is make sure that you can't accidentally overwrite the  tapes you want to restore from (choose from drag into an overwrite protected media set, remove from drive or slide write protect tab on media cartridge across) and then run a test backup followed by a test restore from this backup to make sure that the basic functionality of the product is working.

Cary_Hostrawser
Level 3

The server name has changed. Both were online on the same network for a few weeks during the transition. I'm restoring some Crystal Reports from the old server. The log in account is the main network administrator account, although the password when the backup was made and the current password has changed. I'm not sure if that matters. 

I am attempting to restore from under the "Documents and Settings" path.

I managed to find a work around. I created ran a restore from another tape created on this server, just to make sure all restore functions were working. I then used that same job, but called up the old tape. I first selected a file that was not in the path "Documents and Settings" path. Then selected the the files under that path. I still got the need remote agent popup but clicked past that. The files managed to restore with no problems.